Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you dye your gray hair & other grooming secrets >
  • Do you dye your gray hair & other grooming secrets

• Do you dye your gray hair & other grooming secrets

Old 07-02-2010, 06:02 AM

Morning All,

I joke about using 'Special Shampoo'. Loreal Preferance-9GR. This is the closest to my natural color. I only use it about 3 times a year as I am just starting to go gray. We redheads fade to biegey-brown blah.

Lucille Ball wasn't born a redhead but I was and I will go out a soft red-blonde.
    My sister has been dying her hair for 50 years and said J.C. when are you going to go gray. She was the only one with black hair. We other 5 had red of different shades. 10th grade biology teachers were amazed but that is genetics.
    My secret is that I had my eyebrows tatooed-on. Should have done it 20years ago. My brows are blonde and almost invisable but now are brown. Love it!
    Old 07-02-2010, 06:14 AM

Every five weeks whether I need it or not. It's the one true indulgence I allow myself.
    Old 07-02-2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
    my hair is white now and grows fast so very difficult to color and not have the new growth show. i hate that. so no coloring for me.
    My mother was totally white at age 30; she blamed it on giving birth to her sixth child! Sorry Ma, I was white by 30 and I have no kids. _:-)_

White and gray hair have different texture, a texture I don't like. My first 30 years, before the white, I was a natural blond. So, every 7 weeks or so, I get a semi-permanent dye job that starts out a medium blond and gradually fades to light blond with white at the temples. No demarcation line as the hair grows back. And, the texture is better, the hair not so dry. Suits me so I'll stick with it.
    Old 07-02-2010, 08:58 AM
    Lyn

Don't color my hair or nails. Hardly ever wear makeup just suntan lotion. Only jewelry is my wedding ring. All of that takes away from what I want to do. I sew, I garden and I play with my animals (along with volunteering, painting, writing) I like my silver hair and my wrinkles. Shows I have lived a good life full of ups and downs. I am 56 and people keep wanting to give me senior discounts. Who am I to turn them down?
    Old 07-02-2010, 09:02 AM

I'm a hairdresser, who hasn't worked in a shop for about 30 years. I didn't color my hair until 2 years ago, when two of our sons decided to get married three weeks apart! Both of their MILs to be were the same age as I am and color their hair, well I didn't want to be the old looking one! :o So even though I don't have a lot of grey hair, I decided to color it and have kept it up since. The trick is to go a little lighter as you get older, it looks more natural. I,m blessed with hard nails and used to polish all the time, now just mostly for special occasions. My hubby has never like me to wear makeup, but I do put a little on for special occasions also.
    Old 07-02-2010, 09:36 AM

I started out dyeing my hair when I was 17 and have always done something to it. I have bleached it for a loooong time now. I am 62. and I can't imagine my hair grey. I do it my self and I also cut it myself. doesn't cost much when it is done at home. I do wear some make up not much, but I do love lipstick, no not red! lol had a sister that was grey in her early 20's another sister dyed hers untill hers until the very last month of her life. another one quit dying hers. I guess I will always color mine.
    Old 07-02-2010, 09:44 AM

Yes! I wash that gray right outta my hair! I'm not giving into the gray as long as I have to be in the workforce, especially when I'm job hunting. I don't look my age, but the gray could give it away for sure. Maybe when I can retire 10 - 15 yrs from now, I'll give in.
    Old 07-02-2010, 10:00 AM

I have very fine, straight hair, that I get cut every 6 weeks & permed every 18 weeks. I do use a box of color a couple times a year - not really because of the gray that's there, but because it makes the perm last longer! And with no perm, my hair is soooo flat to my head that I look like a pinhead.... :wink: I never really learned how to put on makeup - tried mascara in HS, but kept rubbing it into my eyes, so gave that up! lol No nail polish, toes or fingers. (My sisters painted my toenails once & I felt like my toes were suffocating! :shock: ) As good ol' Popeye says "I yam what I yam!" :D
    Old 07-02-2010, 10:09 AM

used to dye my hair, but keep it so short that dyeing it is a waste of time and money any more, Besides with 6 kids, 2 boys that are now gone and 4 girls, 23 grands, 13 greatgrands,
    I think I've earned ever gray hair, wrinkle and my fat, i don't wear makeup since retired so will be what i am and wear like a
    Badge of honor.
    Old 07-02-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    My hair just turns white down the center where the part is. I feel like a skunk (except I have brown hair), so I will color no matter what others think. I am alone now and I color it myself for myself and it costs very little. I rarely leave the house so it is just for me. Maybe later I will go do more things, but right now I really have nowhere to go and I prefer to be home.
    Hey lady, your roots are showing...