Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brace yourself--you're in for a SHOCKer >

Brace yourself--you're in for a SHOCKer

Brace yourself--you're in for a SHOCKer

Old 07-04-2010, 05:33 AM

That's a shame. We grow plenty of cotton here. Most of our fabs come from outside the U.S. The small shops will be hurt. I can't even afford to pay $9 a yard, so I wait for coupons from chain stores.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

Jolo, you are lucky! I'd probaly be there ALOT though......
Old 07-04-2010, 09:30 AM

I will hit the sale racks. I find a lot of good stuff there. Then I will be able to afford an expensive one I just gotta have. :) Thank goodness my stash is very large. I pigged out on trips with my friends.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:33 AM

I jus think that they are going to price themselves out of business. The ecomomy is still not doing that well, unemployment is still high....the economy just won't be able to support that kind of price for long. So they will either have to drop back their prices, or go out of business. There is such a thing as pricing an item so high that no one will buy it. Then they have to react to that.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats
I jus think that they are going to price themselves out of business. The ecomomy is still not doing that well, unemployment is still high....the economy just won't be able to support that kind of price for long. So they will either have to drop back their prices, or go out of business. There is such a thing as pricing an item so high that no one will buy it. Then they have to react to that.
Personally I think if they dropped the price, advertized their lower price, they would sell more and make more. Less per yard, but more in the long run. They said the price of cotton is going up and thats why the prices are going up. Some kind of crop problem with the cotton. Maybe they will come back down when the cotton is settled. We can hope.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:38 AM

Wow...we're going to need more coupons! :roll:
Old 07-04-2010, 09:40 AM

Our cotton is shipped overseas and made into cloth some comes here to be printed, other, overseas. We lost alot of our textile mills due to pollution and they could not afford extractors to keep the air clean. Now we must pay the price. Speaking, of which, our dollar is sooo devalued. What we paid $10.00 for 8 years ago, we now pay 16.00. Add to that the shipping cost over the last few years are out of sight. We lost the mills, the jobs, now pay more plus shipping....what a deal!!
Old 07-04-2010, 09:56 AM

I'm just wondering, will this have an effect on us English/UK quilters.
I've noticed this last six months or so, some shops have been slowly hiking up their prices despite some being inferior quality fabric. It may be just certain brands, or those particular shops having the quilting monopoly in their area etc.
But if the £ per supplies that are imported from the States are going up, it may have a knock-on effect here.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
Our cotton is shipped overseas and made into cloth some comes here to be printed, other, overseas. We lost alot of our textile mills due to pollution and they could not afford extractors to keep the air clean. Now we must pay the price. Speaking, of which, our dollar is sooo devalued. What we paid $10.00 for 8 years ago, we now pay 16.00. Add to that the shipping cost over the last few years are out of sight. We lost the mills, the jobs, now pay more plus shipping....what a deal!!
Maybe someone will see this and start new manufacturing. Doubt they would do anything at this point.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:09 AM

I understand it is because of the euro dollar. Don't quite know what that means, but have notice a considerable jump on fabric. www.quiltville.com has some really good thoughts. Give a look.