Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how do you know which pattern to use >

how do you know which pattern to use

how do you know which pattern to use

Old 07-18-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats
I have done it both ways, picked a pattern then bought fabric, but I have also bought fabric then found a pattern. When I buy fabric without a pattern in mind, I usually get two to three yards of the fabric and coordinating fabrics so I know I will have enough. I don't make king size quilts though, so not sure if 3 yards of every fabric is enough for that sized.
I do make king sized quilts..........and picking up 3 yrds of one color certainly is not enough (about 10-12 yards generally for that size) - so I add other coordinating or contrasting fabrics to get enough........most of the patterns do not call for more than 3 yards of the main color.....and so far I have been save doing it this way......
Old 07-18-2010, 01:37 PM

Its hard to remember what I did when I started quilting. I think I always found a pattern I liked, then did it my way. Picked colors I liked and maybe even changed a few things along the way. Never could seem to follow a pattern from start to finish. Just follow your own instincts and your quilts will turn out wonderful.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:01 PM

The fabric tells me.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

Both ways.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:42 PM

I have done it both ways, but it is frustrating to me when i see a line of fabric that i "have" to have, but i don't have a pattern in mind. i don't know how much to buy and tend to overbuy(if there is such a thing). i can usually find one eventually. sometimes i see a fabric and a pattern jumps into my mind. Just starting out, it's easier to find a pattern first and then pick out the fabric. when you become more familiar with more patterns, it will be easier to buy fabric first.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:56 PM

I guess I would say I'd pick the pattern first. Making sure the pattern was an easy one to begin with and maybe if you made blocks with scraps of different colors and the same pattern, you would learn how to pick the colors by looking at your seperately chosen block colors. You'd be surprised how different they can look with different colors. That would be fun to see when you finish it. Fresh eyes and a new look at color would be very interesting.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:12 PM

I buy my fabric. Then I decide what quilt I am going to make. Then I buy more fabric. A vicious circle. I love it!
Old 07-18-2010, 04:17 PM

lots of times I see a quilt at a show & just HAVE to have that pattern! Then I get fabric
Old 07-18-2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
You are going to hear it now!!!

There are some people who see a need (gift for someone) search for a pattern, and then take it to the store and choose JUST the same colors if possible, and JUST the amount of fabric for that project. And THEN, they MAKE the thing. Complete it even, before they LOOK at another piece of fabric or dream of their next quilt.
Um...that would be me. I started out of necessity. We had only one income for a long time and I could only buy "just enough". I made sure to read instructions carefully and try to "see" the shapes included to decide if it was simple enough to do. I couldn't afford to have so much money tied into different projects.

We are in a bit of a better place. I've inherited a few things here and there and now have a little stash. I still decide the pattern before the fabric, the only exception is a little patriotic work I'm doing now. Instead of buying "just enough", I try to increase my yardage to 1/2 or 1 yard more than I need. Someday, I hope to make enough scraps to make a scrappy quilt.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:03 PM

Me ,FABRICS WIN!!! Patterns I LOVE< But I Buy Fabric anyhow so, That's what I do, I look for easy if possible haven't been at this to long and usually go on my own way to sew the quilt and quilt it, It's me!!!