Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what scissors do you like >

what scissors do you like

what scissors do you like

Old 09-26-2010, 09:12 PM

I have a pair of Friskar's Razor-Edged Scissors that are incredibly awesome. I've had them for about 6 years, and they are still as sharp as the day I bought them. Somehow I frequently end up running them across a finger and cut my own self!

I only own one small pair of 4" Gingers, so can't add to that conversation. I just know the Razor-Edged Friskar's are my go-to scissors, and have held up extremely well. I think they're reasonably priced, even though I paid much less for mine then they cost today.

Hope this helps,
Debbie in Austin
Old 09-26-2010, 09:41 PM

I have Fiskars too! I like them very well, If I loose them I'm not out of alot of money.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:17 PM

I love Ginghers, especially the fact that I can have them sharpened over and over. They cut like butter. Much better than some of the cheaper brands.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:15 AM

I was sold on Fiskars until I inherited my grandmother's Ginghers scissors ... a whole container of them. :) I'm still going through her stuff, so I don't even know exactly what kind of Ginghers are in there, but just one use of the 8" (or so?) pair was enough to sell me on them! :thumbup:

They're so sharp I bet they could cut thread in half length-wise! ;) :lol:
Old 09-27-2010, 02:34 AM

Read somewhere that Fiskar bought out Gingher..I think I saw it from one of the E-Bay sellers awhile back...........
Old 09-27-2010, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
Fiskars are good scissors and they are much more reasonable than Ginghers. I just bought a variety pack of five for $14.99 Canadian at Len's Mills. This combo pack would give her a chance to try out some of the various styles and sizes without breaking your budget. It included 7" shears, hinged ones that pull apart, snips, embroidery scissors and a small multi purpose pair. Happy snipping!
The hinged ones are my very favorite kitchen shears--my sons bought their own pairs to put with their hunting gear.
I like Fiskar too. I don't have any trouble sharpening them using the Fiskar sharpener --no idea where I got it.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:30 AM

First of all, I, too, have a pair of Ginghers from the 60's that are still in wonderful condition. These were the ones that I threatened my children with loss of life and limb if I ever saw them cutting paper with them!!

I still use them occasionally, but mostly I use my Fiskars, in 3 different sizes, because of the tendonitis in my thumbs. I really like them, and they're sure easy on arthritic hands.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:40 AM

Whatever you select , Just thought I would share the tradition of giving a coin with any pointed gift," to protect the recipient from the sharp point."
Old 09-27-2010, 05:30 AM

Scissors are a very personnal item because we all have the need for a different feel and cut. I have Weiss, Gingher, Fiskars and Kai and love each pair for the job they do. I even have a no name pair that was very cheap and just love them. Maybe a small grouping of them would make a nice gift.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
A friend introduced me to Kai scissors, and I bought them online in several different sizes. I've also seen them at quilt shows. They're great!
I was a Gingher girl through and through...that is until I tried Kai. Kai is a hard to find brand, but they are available online. I bought my at the Houston quilt show. They have the best edge and are so lightweight. I still have a my Ginghers, but I find myself never reaching for them. Kai all the way

:D