Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing dilemma (after quilt finished) >

Washing dilemma (after quilt finished)

Washing dilemma (after quilt finished)

Old 10-26-2010, 09:06 AM

i had that happen before with some green fabric, mad me sick. but i use shout color catchers now and havent had anymore do that. they are sheets you put in the washer and the dyes that goes into the water somehow attractes to the sheets. sorry to hear about quilt.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by KiwiQuilter
Oh my gosh - it's WORSE!!!

The cream fabric is no longer cream - it's a light teal (with the heavier blotches in patches).

Oh I could just cry.

I guess I'll keep washing it until no more dye comes out. Then I'm hanging it out to dry (e.g. whatever is left will get set by the heat).

(Yes the fabrics were pre-washed before piecing and quilting).
So sorry to hear your troubles. Thats a LOT of teal and I don't think bleach as someone suggested will help. Iam not familar with the other products mentioned but at this stage what do you have to lose other than unwanted teal color. Once you get some more of the color out, then hanging it out in bright sunlight might help since the fabric that is so unstable may fade in the sunlight. Try going on line to get some color catchers and see if that will help. If you can get the faded dye out, You could try setting the color with cold water and salt, but I would suggest drycleaning from here on out. :-( :-(
Old 10-26-2010, 10:32 AM

sounds like she bought some fabric that she found out was really crappy and decided to get it the hell out of her store! i would be taking it back and showing her what happened and letting her know you probably wont be back and WILL be letting your other quilting friends in the area what happened maybe she will feel guilty enough to do something. sorry this happened i recently had a quilt fall apart from which i have determined is more than likely faulty fabric. good luck and like someone else said your mom will probably love it just because you made it for her just like all good moms would lol
Old 10-26-2010, 11:11 AM

Took a look at your posting of the quilt in the photos, and NO wonder you were upset. Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous and Iam glad you were able to mostly fix it. I would definitely feed back to the quilt shop about the fabric, just in case she didn't know I am sure you wouldn't want another quilter to suffer the same dilema you did.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:56 AM

I would be glad to mail you some color catchers if you want them, just PM your address
Old 10-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

Before the Color Catchers were made by Shout, they were sold in fabric stores. The original ones were untreated terry cloth and could be used many times. If you can't buy the Color Catchers by the box, order a yard of untreated cotton terry cloth and make your own. The untreated cotton is high priced but worth it if you can't find the boxed catchers.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:32 PM

Overdying may just make the spots darker - it may not blend everything together.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight
OMG!! I am so sorry. Did you prewash the fabric? I sure hope someone out there can help you. With all the knowledge on this board I am sure they will come through for you... Fingers crossed for you!!!
I have the same featherweight as your pic-- same blue too!!!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 01:30 PM

Try using Retayne and use synthrapol to wash the quilt in. Also dye catchers in the water will help catch the dye coming out of the fabric. Good luck.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:05 PM

Hi Kiwi sorry your having problems. It is easy to shop on line and I'd stay away from that shop. My blue ran and I had to use a qtip dipped in water with a little bleach. Good luck!!