Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
washing fabric >

washing fabric

washing fabric

Old 11-17-2010, 08:42 AM

I always wash and dry any fabric I buy. Because years ago I made a nice pair of pants out of double knit fabric - everyone told me that that type of fabric does not shrink. WRONG!!!!!! My slack shrunk 1 inch in length when I washed them after I had worn them and they needed washing!!! So, since then I wash and dry every typed of fabric that I bring home -- IF it is going to shrink - I want it to shrink BEFORE I cut it out.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:32 AM

I do wash/dry muslin and flannels--never met with one that does not shrink! Others are "iffy" sometimes yes and other times no--depends upon the fabric
Old 11-17-2010, 09:55 AM

Most of the time I wash on the gentle cycle with just a little detergent. Seems to work.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:38 AM

I wash all my dark fabrics with Retayne first in very hot water and then with a very small amount of Woolite dark in cold water. A lot of the quilts I make are gifts and I know that people are going to wash them eventually. So I try to make them colorfast before they have to worry about bleeding.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:42 AM

I always wash the fabrics, with soap, and usually add vineger where the liquid softener goes. I learned to sew at age 8 and was always taght to wash everything! I also do it becase I have an allergy to the fabric dyes when they are "fresh off the bolt". It seems to be "quilters preference"! Happy Quilting!
Old 11-17-2010, 10:57 AM

I wash flannels but none of the other fabric that I have used.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:00 AM

I have never prewashed my quilt shop cotton and have never had a problem. I do wash any that I buy at yard sales or thrift shops. My question is, can you mix them in a quilt? I have kept them seperate in my stash as I was trained not to do that. I will wash the new fabric first if I need to combine them in the same quilt. So now I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to just wash them all .
Old 11-17-2010, 11:53 AM

I always wash and starch my fabrics but only when I'm ready to use them. I use detergent but not softener. I've been surprised how 'out of shape' some of the yardage is after washing and am glad I did wash before cutting! When the fabric is starched and ironed, it has a lovely feel to it!
Old 11-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Somerset Val
I always wash and starch my fabrics but only when I'm ready to use them. I use detergent but not softener. I've been surprised how 'out of shape' some of the yardage is after washing and am glad I did wash before cutting! When the fabric is starched and ironed, it has a lovely feel to it!
I think that fabric "relaxes" into its natural state after washing and that some of it gets distorted in the packaging process.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:20 PM

I "wash" all my fabric by a quick soak in the hottest tap water I have. Wring it out and pop into the dryer till almost dry. Then off to iron it. IF I can't do this right away I put a piece of painters tape with NOT WASHED on it. My college level quilt professor employer said ALWAYS wash fabric first. So, that is what I do. If not washing works for you - great!!!