Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread question >

Thread question

Thread question

Old 11-17-2010, 09:29 AM

Glazed cotton quilting thread is for hand quilting and not for use in the sewing machine because of it's finish. Don't use the cheapest "4 for $1" type thread. It is made from very short stands of cotton and will cause all sorts of lint in your machine, causing you to clean out the bobbin area many more times than a better quality thread. And you can use cone thread, just get a stand along thread holder to place behind your machine and use the guides to thread the machine. If necessary you can tape a small safety pin on the right upper side of your machine and run the thread through the "hole" in the end of the safety pin to get a straight line for the thread to travel.
I haven't always thought this and some may argue with me, but Bob from Superior Threads gave a demo at a convention that I attended and he had cotton and a cotton poly blend thread strung around the room through every one present. He then had us feel and break the threads. The cotton poly blend actually wasn't as strong as the cotton thread and was easier to break, disproving that cotton poly will cut through the threads of your cotton quilt fabric. I still use cotton thread, Egyptian long staple, when I'm piecing my quilts and also use for the most part cotton thread when I quilt. However I still will use a blend for hand stitching on the binding for the right color, and I use a monopoly clear thread for quilting if I choose. There is wonderful education on threads on Superior Threads web site.
Even if this is your last class, there is enough info for you to keep learning and quilting for a long time.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:09 AM

You can set a cone thread inside a glass jar or any container if you do not have way to use cone thread.
DO NOT use the glaced thread on the machine. It contains wax and/or starch. It will flake off and jam your machine.
YLI makes a hand quilting thread that the vendor told me to my face that it could be used on the machine. But I really have my doubts.
You get what you pay for with thread. If you buy good fabric use good thread. It is much cheaper to buy cones. I get mine from Sew Thankful online.
XOXOXO Subee
Old 11-17-2010, 10:41 AM

I have found that the eye of the needle makes a difference depending on the thread used. I found a needle with a longer eye and it made a big difference in free motion quilting. You can even go sideways, slowly, and not nest on the back with those needles.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by stormatsea45
Glazed cotton quilting thread is for hand quilting and not for use in the sewing machine because of it's finish. Don't use the cheapest "4 for $1" type thread. It is made from very short stands of cotton and will cause all sorts of lint in your machine, causing you to clean out the bobbin area many more times than a better quality thread. And you can use cone thread, just get a stand along thread holder to place behind your machine and use the guides to thread the machine. If necessary you can tape a small safety pin on the right upper side of your machine and run the thread through the "hole" in the end of the safety pin to get a straight line for the thread to travel.
I haven't always thought this and some may argue with me, but Bob from Superior Threads gave a demo at a convention that I attended and he had cotton and a cotton poly blend thread strung around the room through every one present. He then had us feel and break the threads. The cotton poly blend actually wasn't as strong as the cotton thread and was easier to break, disproving that cotton poly will cut through the threads of your cotton quilt fabric. I still use cotton thread, Egyptian long staple, when I'm piecing my quilts and also use for the most part cotton thread when I quilt. However I still will use a blend for hand stitching on the binding for the right color, and I use a monopoly clear thread for quilting if I choose. There is wonderful education on threads on Superior Threads web site.
Even if this is your last class, there is enough info for you to keep learning and quilting for a long time.
Thank you so much. Everyone on the board has been so helpful. I have been so inspired this past month. I have never wanted to learn to sew but have always, since I was 19, wanted to learn to quilt. I could not take advantage of my Grandma's and aunt's experience. I feel like I could do anything. I have been equated fitting te pieces of fabric together to fitting pieces of glass together. I have been known to make a few stained glass pieces over the years. Not many, but enough to understand how important 1/4" seams and proper cutting are!

I did switch to an all cotton thread and now my machine is "purring"!. I am so unknowledgeale about anything related to sewing that I did not know that glaced thread was forhand quilting only. I know it now!!

Thanks again and have a wonderful blessed day.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:43 PM

Thank you for posting a question about thread. I'm a new quilter and confused about the different types of thread. Polyester or cotton? I have been using polyester w/o any problems, but I heard you should always use cotton thread when quilting. What do you all think?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:46 PM

I for one am a quilting Purist. I only use 100% cotton thread in quilting. Cotton fabric=Cotton thread. My LQS doesn't like that part as I don't buy my thread from them. They only carry Metler and Coats and Clark. Oh well. I spend a small fortune on fabric there.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Surfergirl
Thank you for posting a question about thread. I'm a new quilter and confused about the different types of thread. Polyester or cotton? I have been using polyester w/o any problems, but I heard you should always use cotton thread when quilting. What do you all think?
I have been told cotton for a few reasons. One, it won't cut your fabric, although in this post, someone has pointed out that is not necessarily true. Also, your fabric is cotton so it is best to use cotton thread. I am only a one month quilter, so what do I know? I am currently using Mercerized ELS Cotton from Joann's tha cost 6.00 for 1200 yds. Works great. I have used for my first project Select 100% Long Staple Cotton. Don't know what long staple is. 1,000 yds cost me $7 at my LQS.

I see by your avatar that you have two Boston Terriers! I do also!!! Their names are Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings. I got the first almost 3 years ago and the second almot 2 years ago. They saved me from the initial "what do I do now" ofa forced retirement!!! Love them!

:lol:
Old 11-17-2010, 02:03 PM

Glazed or coated thread should NOT be used in a sewing machine. The glaze gets on the tension disks and can make a mess of the machine.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:05 PM

Don't use that stuff...it's the worst thread!!
Old 11-17-2010, 02:05 PM

Don't use that stuff...it's the worst thread!!