Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I was just given 30 quilt tops!! What to do with them? Ideas please... >

I was just given 30 quilt tops!! What to do with them? Ideas please...

I was just given 30 quilt tops!! What to do with them? Ideas please...

Old 12-04-2010, 12:07 PM

Hi Sandybeach - Noticed that you live in Ridgecrest. We were stationed at China Lake in the late 60's. Sounds like Ridgecrest has really grown since we lived there. It was just a wide spot in the road then. Your quilting guild sounds wonderful and you must enjoy the charitable work you do. Keep up the good work.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:22 PM

GOLD MINE HERE !!! Congratulations !!!!
Old 12-04-2010, 02:51 PM

I would think residents of nursing homes could tie them and they'd probably enjoy having something to do!
Old 12-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by himnherr
My friends father recently died. We were at lunch one day and she says "I wish I knew someone who is into quilting." Umm.... I haven't seen her in awhile so she had no idea of my new found hobby. I jumped on it and she said when she goes to get her mom in NY she'll bring me a van load of "stuff". Well, I picked it up yesterday. In it was 3 sewing machines (already found homes for them), 30 quilt tops finished, ready to be tied (at least that's what he did with them when he finished them), a stash of fabric and thread and rulers, templates, rotary cutters, blades, bobbins and cases, and other assorted "stuff"! Trust me, I know what to do with everything but the quilt tops. haha! I picked out about 8 that I want to keep, a couple of my friends may want a few others, but there's no way we will get rid of all of them. My friend is totally happy to have them donated to a charity- I've googled various ones, but I really don't know of any that will take just a quilt top- unfinished. They are all finished to the extent that each seam is top stitched- some with fancy stitching, some just straight stitching. They seem to be all cotton - some are coordinated scrappies, some are just scrappies. They range in sizes from lap size to King! I attached just a couple of the small ones to show- the big ones are too big to spread out for pictures. :-D
Hi, wow what a wonderful thing your friend gave you. I do longarm quilting for various charities. The main one I have done for is the American Heros that get sent to Afghanastan for the wounded american soldiers. But I also do many baby charities and domestic violence charities. So if you would like to send any here I would be more than honored to finish them by quilting them and giving them to numerous charities. Please let me know if I can assist you in anyway.

Thanks,
Sherryl
Candlequilter

he main
Old 12-04-2010, 03:34 PM

If you have a local guild that does community service the quilts would stay local. Also check with your local quilt shop for ideas.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:05 PM

You could donate them to Quilts of Valor for our soldiers in Afganistan, all you have to do is go to QOV.com and they will tell you where you can mail them too. It is such a good cause. I am a longarmer and I am paired up with a lady that sends me the tops and I mail them back to her and she binds them then they are sent to the qov org and sent to the soldiers that are injured. The want to make sure every wounded soldier gets a quilt.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:15 PM

I know if you find a local person who makes quilts for charities they would love them. I make Memory quilts for patients that will be leaving this world soon. they use them even write messages for their families they are leaving behind. Than the hospital sees the family recieves the quilt. I also do the same for the Hospice I volunteer at.
i bet if you checked with your local hospice or hospital you might find someone who would jump at the chance to have the tops
debbie e in ohio
Old 12-04-2010, 05:50 PM

Check with local quilt groups. I go to the local church that has one. That's where I give my completed tops. She has 3 women in the group that donate their time to long-arm quilt them and they are given as sypathy quilts and other places where people need hugs and love.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:08 PM

OH MY lots of work.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:56 PM

What a nice friend