Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I was just given 30 quilt tops!! What to do with them? Ideas please... >

I was just given 30 quilt tops!! What to do with them? Ideas please...

I was just given 30 quilt tops!! What to do with them? Ideas please...

Old 12-03-2010, 11:48 PM

Wow! you really got a early Christmas gift and a great one for a quilter.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:53 AM

Check with local churches to see if they have a charity quilt project. Our local church is always happy to get fabric and tops to finish, they usually will donate them for fund raisers or to people who have fires. There is a core group of older ladies who get together once a week to do the quilts.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:16 AM

The prettyest one goes to your friend when completed.

You are lucky to have such a special gift.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:32 AM

My QG had several donated to it and some of the members finished the quilts and used them as a fund raiser for the charity that we support. You are one lucky lady!!!!
Old 12-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Cyn

What a stash! I received something like this when my mil passed.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:42 AM

My QG had several donated to it and some of the members finished the quilts and used them as a fund raiser for the charity that we support. There are lots of good ideas posted here. You are one lucky lady!!!!
Old 12-04-2010, 09:47 AM

My quilt guild, The MDI Quilters, in Bar Harbor, ME does pro bono quilts for non profit organizations on our island (Mt. Desert Island). We would be glad to receive any tops that you don't want and finish them to use as pro bonos. We have sent quilts to hospital, and rehab organizations as examples. The organization receiving them runs a raffle and thereby makes it into a fundraiser. We usually do one a year because of putting them together, but with tops already done, we could do a whole bunch.
PM me if you are interested. We will certainly make sure you get recognition for this if you do send them.

Originally Posted by himnherr
My friends father recently died. We were at lunch one day and she says "I wish I knew someone who is into quilting." Umm.... I haven't seen her in awhile so she had no idea of my new found hobby. I jumped on it and she said when she goes to get her mom in NY she'll bring me a van load of "stuff". Well, I picked it up yesterday. In it was 3 sewing machines (already found homes for them), 30 quilt tops finished, ready to be tied (at least that's what he did with them when he finished them), a stash of fabric and thread and rulers, templates, rotary cutters, blades, bobbins and cases, and other assorted "stuff"! Trust me, I know what to do with everything but the quilt tops. haha! I picked out about 8 that I want to keep, a couple of my friends may want a few others, but there's no way we will get rid of all of them. My friend is totally happy to have them donated to a charity- I've googled various ones, but I really don't know of any that will take just a quilt top- unfinished. They are all finished to the extent that each seam is top stitched- some with fancy stitching, some just straight stitching. They seem to be all cotton - some are coordinated scrappies, some are just scrappies. They range in sizes from lap size to King! I attached just a couple of the small ones to show- the big ones are too big to spread out for pictures. :-D
Old 12-04-2010, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by PurplePassion
Could you finish a few off and give back to your friend , incase there are a few children in the family that would like a remembrance of her dad?
This is such a good idea...there may be grandkids that would love to have them!
Old 12-04-2010, 11:08 AM

I have a friend who puts a simple backing on and does minimal quilting to hold the pieces together. She donated them to a shelter for the homeless. They give them out as needed.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

Looks like christmas came early to your house! Wow.