Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
$200 to "service" my sewing machine! >

$200 to "service" my sewing machine!

$200 to "service" my sewing machine!

Old 12-05-2010, 04:29 PM

In our area, for a computerized machine, it's about $110 just to do a yearly servicing, parts extra. I'm looking for that guy who does it as a sideline.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:21 PM

just had my Viking 300 serviced - cleaned/oiled and new feed motor put in, under warranty. Total was $94.00 - at least $40 of that was the annual cleaning. Find a new dealer.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:47 AM

when i took my janome platinum in, it was $86 for cleaning/oiling. (Michigan) when they got around to checking it out..something needed to be replaced, they called before they started the work on it, to get an approval.

are the higher end machines costlier to do regular maintence on?
Old 12-06-2010, 03:06 AM

Really baby my machine[s]. Change the needle and clean out the lint the machine will sew so smoothly. I have a basic used Janome [love it] and the computerized Elna [now over 10 years old still a workhorse].
Over here it used to be $100.[Elna] just for an inspection. Now reading these comments it will probably be $150. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:48 AM

From Norhtern NY . I have to take my Janome 344 in to have
serviced and repaired. It used to be $35.00 but now it is over
$50. plus and if it needs parts. ???? I'll take my older machines that are all metal and I can clean and adjust and service them myself. There really isn't like a good old machine.

Flo from NNY
Old 12-06-2010, 03:57 AM

Yor're starting to scare me ! I took mine in last Thursday and they said the minimum charge would be $55.00 just for the routine check. May have to pick it up after the Holidays !!!
Old 12-06-2010, 04:03 AM

We called a computer repair guy just to check ours and he charges $98/hour. No way did we have him come over.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:05 AM

I have a designer 1 and have had for 10 years and yes I have had it serviced 3 times and it was that much and I thought at the time it was high but I do love my machine and I would pay that much again to have it working right.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:25 AM

This is why I stay with older mechanical machines. I have an old Bernina (1130) that has never been serviced and sews great. I keep it oiled and clean.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by joan_quilts
Ok, I have a Husqvarna Quilt Desinger I. It wasn't working quite right last week, so I took it to a sewing machine dealer/fabric store.

They did have to replace a few parts, that was $73. Ok, I didn't know I had a problem with those parts, but hey, they are liscensed to work on these machines.

I got the bill yesterday when I picked up my machine, and it was $200 just to "service" it! That means the yearly cleaning! The receipt said clean and labor, oiling internal parts and checking the belts.

I think that is way too much! It took them less than a day to have it ready for me to pick up. If I would have known it was going to cost $200 for the servicing, I would have never taken it to be fixed.

I am over reacting or does this seem kind of a high price to you? Thanks for any replies. I just needed to vent.
I have Husqvarna Vikings too, a Diamond, a Topaz, a Designer SE, a Designer I and a Viva. I paid a lot of money for these machines and feel it is well worth the yearly cost to get them serviced. The basic fee is $100 the last time I got one done. If I had a Mercedes or Lexus I wouldn't complain about what it costs to keep them up to snuff. My sewing machines are my investment in quality equipment and I certainly don't hesitate to do what is necessary to keep them humming along. When I had my mini flood in my basement the Viva got wet. I sent it in for service just to get it checked out and turned out the transformer got fried. It cost me almost $200 to get it fixed. Now I only paid $500 for it, but my dealer felt it was well worth the cost to get it fixed. They don't make that machine any more and she says it is better made than the ones of that price line now days. Okay, I'm jumping off the soapbox now.