Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organizing Fabric Question >

Organizing Fabric Question

Organizing Fabric Question

Old 12-19-2010, 08:23 PM

My DH put up kitchen cabinets in our former guestroom to make a sewing room for me. I group all my batiks together by color, then I have a cabinet each for reads-as-solids, florals, holidays, childrens, black and whites, etc. My best trick is using a tall bookcase with shallow shelves, made for holding CDs and DVDs, to hold all my FQs sorted by color. Because the shelves are shallow and spaced fairly close together I don't end up with my FQs falling over. Plus it's like eye candy to come into my room and see the beautiful fabrics. Just don't place it where sunshine will fade the fabrics, or you could drape a sheet over the front of it to keep dust and sun out.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Power Poster

First by color, then size down to the fat quarters being seperated from the rest.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:47 PM

I was not at all organized in my sewing room and it took me longer to go through the bins to find what I needed to start a project and I would not have time to sew. My dear daughter took me to a big store in phoenix called IKEA. I bought 3 big cabinets with pull out drawers and half shelfs and doors of your pick like frosted glass or mirror and Baskets that pull out and lift out if you like for ribblon, lace, tools, elastic, beads, irons, and more stuff. I love them and it really has helped me stay organized and find what I need at a glance. Love it some much better. I still have 4 or five bins, with scraps and overflow. My stash is so great! I love to look at it and feel it and think about what I can do next. I kinda have a store in this room with my computer. My women cave.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:05 PM

I have a fabulous stash. My husband built shelves that I stack everything on by color. Well, except for the focus fabrics that I've already coordinated with other fabrics. I also separate the baby themed fabrics. I wish I had the stamina to wrap everything onto minibolts. I just don't see that happening.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
I have a fabulous stash. My husband built shelves that I stack everything on by color. Well, except for the focus fabrics that I've already coordinated with other fabrics. I also separate the baby themed fabrics. I wish I had the stamina to wrap everything onto minibolts. I just don't see that happening.
The wrapping turned out to be a week long process, but I am so happy I did it. I even have a few open shelves, my DH said it looks like you need to go shopping!!!!!
Old 12-20-2010, 03:12 PM

Mine is organised by color, except for the Christmas fabric, I keep those all together in the same cube (I have a cube system), the small scraps of fabric that I can get a square or two out of are kept in front of all the larger fabrics and the scrap scraps are kept in a bin.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:19 AM

Thanks Gale for posting the link!!! Great blogs too!