Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Organizing my Fabric

I wanted to organize my fabric stash like they are displayed in the Fabric stores. I looked up Fabric Organizers and found some but they were really expensive so I found a sight for corragated cardboard that sells them in bundles of 50 and 100 200 etc for 33.93 including shipping and handling I got 100 11"x14" pieces that will fit on my shelfs they had all sizes. I can't wait till it gets here to get started on my stash. If you are interested the sight is www.boxforless.com/categories/Corrugated-Cardboard-Sheets

Blog Entries
    thank you!

Blog Entries
    What a great deal :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SherryLea
    I wanted to organize my fabric stash like they are displayed in the Fabric stores. I looked up Fabric Organizers and found some but they were really expensive so I found a sight for corragated cardboard that sells them in bundles of 50 and 100 200 etc for 33.93 including shipping and handling I got 100 11"x14" pieces that will fit on my shelfs they had all sizes. I can't wait till it gets here to get started on my stash. If you are interested the sight is www.boxforless.com/categories/Corrugated-Cardboard-Sheets
    I did the ruler fold method, can get 2 rows of fabric in my file drawers, and it didn't cost me anything and I didn't have to wait for cardboard to come in the mail. I would rather spend the money on fabric, but whatever works for you.

Our LQS will give you empty cardboard when they finish the bolt.

I know everyone has their own method I am just excited about mind. I have bookselves to put my fabric on and I think it would look nice in my sewing room. And lord knows I don't need anymore fabric (doesn't mean I won't buy)HEHEHE. I'll put a picture when I get it all done thanks for reading had to share my excitment.

bkb
    They even give me the empty bolt boards at Walmart!

I would worry that the acid in the cardboard might discolor the fabric over time. I know that we, Rocking Chair Quilts, toss out lots of empty bolt. Yo should be able to get some from your LQS.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    When I decided to organize my stash I went to walmart and got their empty bolt holders and cut them to size. I also went to dollar tree and bought foam boards and cut them the size I wanted.

thanks for the site info!

Thanks for the info.

I also used the ruler method.My fabric fits so well and is so neat now.I can see what I have and it takes up less space.It is folded so nice and equal in size and the ruler pulls straight out and there you are..nice even sized fabric.No acid worry.

Go to a Comic book store and buy the boards designed for the comic books...acid free and at the local store here 100 cost $6.99 needless to say I had to purchase 7 packs

I will bite. What is the ruler fold method?????

I use the ruler method too, but I can understand the draw of having it on cardboard. Less floppy. My fabric is in drawers. This way would work better on shelves if you wanted to shelve it on end like books rather than stacking the folded pieces on top of one another. The one you want is always going to be on the bottom!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by outnabout
    I will bite. What is the ruler fold method?????
    Someone has a link to a youtube video of how to do it. Basically, I used 24" long by 5" wide ruler. Lay your fabric flat on your table, fold to one side, selvedge to the other, lay the ruler across so you have ends to hold onto. Start folding the fabric around the ruler. When you get to the end, pull the ruler out and fold this into thirds so the selvedge side is to the inside. Voila, nice and neat and they will be all one size. You could use whatever ruler fits your storage needs.

Whay haven't I thought of that. Thank you so much.

The ruler fold method is when you fold your fabric in half and wrap it neatly around the ruler.You just keep wrapping it around and around and then slide the ruler out and they are neatly folded.

Blog Entries
    hey sherry - make sure your cardboard is archival quality because cardboard boxes have acid in them that will make spots on material. if they're not - you may want to spray paint them before you use them.

Blog Entries
    hey sherry - make sure your cardboard is archival quality because cardboard boxes have acid in them that will make spots on material. if they're not - you may want to spray paint them before you use them.

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    Quote Originally Posted by SherryLea
    I get my corrugated plastic board in full sheets for $12 and some change for a 4x8 ft sheet. The company I buy it from will cut it lengthwise for me as many times as I need. I take it home right then and make the nessessary cuts and I'm loading them up with fabric. I also get the black kind to tell between washed fabric and unwashed.

I get empty bolts when I go to fabric stores, but I can't keep up. So I went to the lumber compy and found 1/4" backerboard, had it cut into 12" X 8" tol get the most out of the 4' X 8" piece (15.99). Next time I am going to cut some larger sizes. I also have used some clip boards I got att Sam's. They kinda looked like the backerboard. I liked them because the clip held the fabric. I think they were about 4.00 for 6. But don't quofe me on that, I may get more of them if they are as cheap as I think they are. I too like my fabric standing up so I don't have to dig in.

I use the comic board backers and they are archival also. I get 100 for $12.00 at the local comic book store. They have 2 sizes.
    This was the best thing I ever did.
    Karen

fabric with backers
    Name:  Attachment-72958.jpe
Views: 54
Size:  62.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    When I decided to organize my stash I went to walmart and got their empty bolt holders and cut them to size. I also went to dollar tree and bought foam boards and cut them the size I wanted.
    I donít think u need to worry about if itís acid free or not. If your not going to use your fabric in the next few years then store it in dark color containers, but if you r sewing all the time and using your stash then I donít think that it will hurt the fabric if itís not acid free. I did like cjomomma and used foam board. Oh my what did grandma do before all this new modern technology got so technical? I love being able to see what I have and it makes it much easier to put pieces together. I say get that fabric out there where u can see it and u are more apt to be productive I know I am. Out of sight out of mindÖ..You donít have to spend a fortune to get organized. :thumbup: :roll:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thank you and God bless.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast