Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Organizing my Fabric >

Organizing my Fabric

Organizing my Fabric

Old 09-14-2010, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by SherryLea
I wanted to organize my fabric stash like they are displayed in the Fabric stores. I looked up Fabric Organizers and found some but they were really expensive so I found a sight for corragated cardboard that sells them in bundles of 50 and 100 200 etc for 33.93 including shipping and handling I got 100 11"x14" pieces that will fit on my shelfs they had all sizes. I can't wait till it gets here to get started on my stash. If you are interested the sight is www.boxforless.com/categories/Corrugated-Cardboard-Sheets
I get my corrugated plastic board in full sheets for $12 and some change for a 4x8 ft sheet. The company I buy it from will cut it lengthwise for me as many times as I need. I take it home right then and make the nessessary cuts and I'm loading them up with fabric. I also get the black kind to tell between washed fabric and unwashed.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:33 PM

I get empty bolts when I go to fabric stores, but I can't keep up. So I went to the lumber compy and found 1/4" backerboard, had it cut into 12" X 8" tol get the most out of the 4' X 8" piece (15.99). Next time I am going to cut some larger sizes. I also have used some clip boards I got att Sam's. They kinda looked like the backerboard. I liked them because the clip held the fabric. I think they were about 4.00 for 6. But don't quofe me on that, I may get more of them if they are as cheap as I think they are. I too like my fabric standing up so I don't have to dig in.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:07 PM

I use the comic board backers and they are archival also. I get 100 for $12.00 at the local comic book store. They have 2 sizes.
This was the best thing I ever did.
Karen

fabric with backers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]72963[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-72958.jpe  
Old 09-16-2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
When I decided to organize my stash I went to walmart and got their empty bolt holders and cut them to size. I also went to dollar tree and bought foam boards and cut them the size I wanted.
I don’t think u need to worry about if it’s acid free or not. If your not going to use your fabric in the next few years then store it in dark color containers, but if you r sewing all the time and using your stash then I don’t think that it will hurt the fabric if it’s not acid free. I did like cjomomma and used foam board. Oh my what did grandma do before all this new modern technology got so technical? I love being able to see what I have and it makes it much easier to put pieces together. I say get that fabric out there where u can see it and u are more apt to be productive I know I am. Out of sight out of mind…..You don’t have to spend a fortune to get organized. :thumbup: :roll:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-91690.jpe   attachment-91691.jpe  
Old 09-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Banned

Thank you and God bless.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2010, 08:16 AM

What measurements are your boards? I purchased some of the form board, just haven't decided on the size yet.

Originally Posted by Caroltee
When I decided to organize my stash I went to walmart and got their empty bolt holders and cut them to size. I also went to dollar tree and bought foam boards and cut them the size I wanted.
I don’t think u need to worry about if it’s acid free or not. If your not going to use your fabric in the next few years then store it in dark color containers, but if you r sewing all the time and using your stash then I don’t think that it will hurt the fabric if it’s not acid free. I did like cjomomma and used foam board. Oh my what did grandma do before all this new modern technology got so technical? I love being able to see what I have and it makes it much easier to put pieces together. I say get that fabric out there where u can see it and u are more apt to be productive I know I am. Out of sight out of mind…..You don’t have to spend a fortune to get organized. :thumbup: :roll:
Old 09-17-2010, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Robinlee
What measurements are your boards? I purchased some of the form board, just haven't decided on the size yet.

Originally Posted by Caroltee
I cut mine 11 3/4 x 7 1/2 I was able to get 6 large and cut the remainder into 2 small for 1 yard or less pieces of fabric. If the height of your shelves is grater than 12 inches then you can cut them longer. Measure your shelves. But allow room at top and also the W needs to allow for fabric bulk so I would not make them any wider than 8 in. You just need to measure your location where you want to place fabric and use your own judgment. Hope this helps