Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Fabric is going up >

Why Fabric is going up

Why Fabric is going up

Old 12-31-2010, 07:37 PM

I did not save or stash enough plains. I will have to go to thrift stores and really watch for sales.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Caer Urfa
Originally Posted by pearsonstudio
You need to try living in Canada where we would like to support our local stores but our fabric is $18/meter which is only three inches bigger than a yard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or living in Australia where good quality can be $A24. I have just heard on the news that the severe floods we are experiencing at the moment have destroyed a lot of the cotton crops.
Absolutely, would love to pay $3 a yard/metre, but living in Australia that's not an option which is why when I want to build up my stash I buy online from America. For regular purchases I do support my LQS.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:46 PM

Futures speculation is another problem in rising cotton prices. As to prices coming down... don't hold your breath while you're waiting... the way the Fed is printing money, our money will be worth less and less, and it's already virtually worthless. My feeling is that we are in for some really bad times in the future. Sorry to rain on your parade.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by cheryl rearick
I went a few years without sewing, and some time I back I was buying coats and clarks thread, BUT it is no longer made in the states. I dropped it fast. When I bought a car two years ago, the first thing I said, show me american made ONLY. or your wasting our time. OH boy , I think I need to find another room... you all got me going lol.... hugs. :)
If you want an American car (or the closest thing possible), you'll have to get a Toyota (Georgetown, KY, Indiana, or San Antonio) or Subaru built in Indiana. All "American cars," though assembled here, are assembled with parts manufactured in foreign countries, like China, India, etc. There IS no such thing anymore as an "American car". At least Toyota's and Subaru's American plants also bring their suppliers here, giving Americans jobs and paying taxes, UNLIKE "American" manufacturers, who prefer to pay their taxes to China and other countries and employ their workers. The reason we don't see any of the benefits of those .50/hr. wages they pay in China is that the shipping charges eat them up, so we end up paying the same or more than when they were built by Americans in America.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:10 PM
Banned

the prices are going UP because we allow so much foreign trade! We could grow more of our cotton here, but we told China/Asia that as part of the word trade agreement, They could grow that commodity! WE no longer have ANY textile manufactures in this country!( The last one closed up 2 years ago) They are all in Asia!

As long as this country continues to allow other countries to control OUR goods, we will either have to pay or do without! This year as everything continues to skyrocket, but take home pay, there will be a whole lot less spending on the unessential items!
Old 12-31-2010, 09:24 PM

Doesn't surprise me, everthing else is going up!
Old 12-31-2010, 09:57 PM

I need to clarify that I did not see the earlier message that did bring politics into the discussion, and I agree entirely that it has no place here. Discussions of that nature tend to bring down the overall quality of our interactions because they polarize people. The purpose of a forum is to share what we have in common. There are plenty of other sites where political views are appropriately discussed. Bringing them into this kind of discussion would tend to drive people away because of issues that are not directly related to the topic of quilting.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rose_P
I have to disagree and defend JJ for pointing out a simple truth. If her words were 'political rancor' or 'disrespect', I missed it. She did not blame anyone. If the people I noticed at the Houston International Quilt Festival last month are representative of quilters, there are an awful lot of us who are retirement age. It is a fact that Americans who rely on Social Security and/or government pensions did not receive a cost-of-living increase in spite of rising prices, therefore their spending power is going down. Shops that need these customers will absolutely be feeling the pinch that results when those who want to buy their goods are no longer able to afford them. The shop owners are caught between the rising wholesale prices and the declining income of many of their customers. We all need to support our LQS's as much as we can if we want to see them stay in business.
Me, too.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Treasureit
"The saying is what comes up must come down." Doesn't seem to work that way very often!

:thumbup: :thumbdown:
How true that is :|
Old 12-31-2010, 11:19 PM

Ditto from me!!