I have bad news.......

Old 01-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

Plain pat, they sometimes call the clearence spot the "red tag" area...ours is in the back of the store.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:11 AM

Thanks....I tend to get what I want & out the door. Will take a better look around.
Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Plain pat, they sometimes call the clearence spot the "red tag" area...ours is in the back of the store.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:14 AM

Guess I am one of those heading for buys at re-sale shops, and re-working
old cotton clothing.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:26 AM

that is not good
Old 01-02-2011, 08:34 AM

Our JoAnn's her in St. Louis moved to a bigger store and the prices on EVERYTHING went up ... material, markers, thread, etc. I just thought it was local and because of the new store. Our local Wal-Mart still has fabric and it is 100% cotton, mostly for 4.99/yd although I did see some yesterday that was 8.99/yd, very pricey for Wal-Mart. Most Wal-Mart stores are phasing out this department.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Edie
Originally Posted by laureneberhard
Seems to be going the way of gasoline $$$!
I was going to say the same thing! And as long as people buy it the prices will keep going up. You can buy a quilt through a catalog for less than it costs to make one. But we are a breed unto ourselves and we like to make a quilt or two or three or four, but don't like to have to pay for "big business" in a small business area. I will keep going to JoAnn's because somehow, someway in that store (every time I go), I find a bargain and it is good fabric and I like it/love it and that is all I need.

Gas, however, is something else. $3.00 a gallon. Here in St. Paul as other places there is a card we get from Roundy's, our grocery store, where they take off 10 cents on so much bought at the store. A few days ago, my husband bought gas at BP (which I don't want to buy from in the first place) for $1.30 off the $2.96 a gallon price. Now, they have discontinued the gas thing at Roundy's. Hey, you out there - remember when gas was 25 cents a gallon and cigarettes were even cheaper? I don't smoke anymore - haven't for a million years, but I still remember the prices. I remember practically filling a tank for $1.00.

So, we will look for bargains any where we can and pride ourselves in the good deal we got.

KEEP MAKING AND PROCESSING OUR OWN COTTON IN OUR OWN COUNTRY. I'd rather pay more for fabric made in our own country and keep people in work and keep our own country going. It seems to me that quilters are going to be the ones that are going to save this country. Edie
Hate to admit that I remember gas prices being in the 50 cent range, but I do. Out here in Phoenix it's just getting to $3, but the price of cigarettes which are poison? I am so thankful I NEVER smoked - hated them in even in High School. My husband quilt smoking 25 years ago and then it was just a pipe, but I sure LOVED the smell of the bourbon tobacco!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:19 AM

I used to shop at Joann's and Hancocks but it seems to me like the higher the prices go, the quality gets lower. I now shop my LQS sales and get better fabric for cheaper than Joann's and Hancocks. Even the non sale prices are cheaper than Joann's. Might just be my area of the country tho, as we are extremely lucky to have many LQS here.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat
Thanks....I tend to get what I want & out the door. Will take a better look around.
Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Ours has a red tag section, and then a clearance section on the back wall near the employee exit. A couple of times a year those prices, which are already 50 to 70% off, drop in half again. I've had some good scores there, so I always check that section!

This is not to be confused with the half off the red tag fabrics, which happens more often. It's best to get there on the first day of those sales before the quilting fabric gets picked over. I've had some major scores that way. It may be the only way I'll be shopping at Joann's now!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

News is very upsetting.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:29 AM

If it goes up that much......so long JoAnn's!!!