Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pfaff-obsessed, need advice on used models >
  • Pfaff-obsessed, need advice on used models

• Pfaff-obsessed, need advice on used models

Old 01-06-2011, 12:00 PM

Oooo, so tempting. I live in Chicago and want to avoid shipping a machine (especially a computerized one!) since anything could happen in transit and both the seller and I could end up heart broken and out of $$. I did get a Featherweight from Graham Forsdyke in England, and everything was fine, but I was so nervous. I'm sure someone nearby would live it, though!
    Old 01-06-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tootsie
    Originally Posted by pab58
    Question: Aren't Pfaffs from Sweden? My Pfaff was made in Sweden, not Germany. :?
    If I'm not mistaken, Pfaff machines originally were made in Germany, then around 1999 Husqvarna/Viking bought Pfaff which may be why your's was made in Sweden.

I have several Pfaffs, including the 7570. In my opinion, this is one of the best machines ever made. I have more "updated" machines, but the 7570 is my true workhorse. If you can get a 7570 for that price, I say go for it!
    I agree! I bought my 7570 in mid-99 for $2500 (made in Germany) & wouldn't get rid of it (LOVE the IDT)! I AM thinking of selling the embroidery unit, since I got a Viking Designer SE 3 yrs ago for the larger embroidery field, so the Pfaff is now my sewing & quilting machine. Surely someone could find a mother-board or get another used machine IF it ever had to be replaced. Never had an issue w/ mine. Sometimes it's a risk w/ any used machine, but one w/ such a great reputation is certainly worth the risk.
    Old 01-06-2011, 12:55 PM

I wouldn't be afraid to have a computerized machine shipped. I have purchased 4 different high dollar embroidery machines off of Ebay. I have NEVER had a problem. I always insure them for at least emough to replace from a dealer if something is broken. But, so far so good. I have loved each one of them..
    Old 01-06-2011, 02:09 PM

Before I would listen to your Pfaff dealer's advice, I would contact 15 other dealers to see if you ge the same answer. Last year my mother's 1952 pfaff had to go to the shop after she had uppolostered all the cushions in a used camper. Her pfaff dealer took the machine in and kept it for two weeks. When she went in to check on the machine, he told her it was unrepairable but he would give her a "good" tradein on a new machine. My mother is 87. She brought the machine over here to texas on her next trip and asked if I had a person who worked on my machines. We took the machine over to my service guy. She went home that weekend and I called a week later to check on the machine. He asked me who had worked on it, and I gave him the story. The only thing wrong with the machine was it needed to be cleaned and her dealer had wired the motor backwards......So much for dealer knowledge.....So it cost me $20 to have the machine cleaned....I took her machine back and it hasn't stopped running. My guess it will be my inheritance unless my sister gets there first. (It would be ok I have 2 pfaffs now)
    Old 01-06-2011, 02:11 PM

I have the 7570 & love it! I had to replace the board for the embroidery unit. But until it was fixed I could still sew. It cost about $125 to fix. I have had it for over 10 years and no other problems.
    SandyGail
    Old 01-06-2011, 02:27 PM

Not sure how to pm you guys as I am new at this but if you are interested in seeling your pfaff I have a friend in australia who is looking for one. please email me at [email protected] that is if the one you were asking isen't interested. anyone that has one they would like to sell can email me. thanks
    Old 01-06-2011, 02:30 PM

I have two pfaffs one is the tiptronic 2040 which is a real workhorse too and also has quite a few emb. stitches on it.
    I bought a used one to have as a back up because I am so used to even feed system that if this one has to go in for anything I am lost. I have a brother too but its just not the same for sewing on thick fabrics.
    Old 01-06-2011, 02:31 PM

Great advice Nona, thx!
    Old 01-06-2011, 04:38 PM

Tootsie,
    I have a lower model Pfaff-a 1527. I love the machine, but want an upgrade. I did not know that Husquvarna/Viking bought Pfaff. I was in Joann's awhile ago, and they tried to sell me the Diamond. Even willing to finance it for 48 months. I am a Pfaff girl, and scared to take the plunge. Any ideas?
    Old 01-06-2011, 04:47 PM

I'm sorry that I traded in my 7570 for a 2144. It has never really worked well as it won't talk to the computer. A friend still has her 7570 and so far, we've only had to change the internal batteries twice. other than that it is still fine.
    She has another (1475 I think from memory) which still runs OK but she can't buy any feet and parts for it very easily as the sizes changed when they manufactured later models.
    I am thoroughly content with a mechanical Brother straight stitcher now - it has none of those issues.