Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding >

Binding

Binding

Old 01-12-2011, 07:27 AM

I have found that if you cut your binding fabric 2 3/4 it is easier to put on. Also I was taught to pin on the binding before sewing so that you make sure that the joining peices are not on the corners. Also A professional quilter told me that she always hand sews binding on unless she is doing a kids quilt. she also stitches binding to front and then turns to back and stitches. Also method of turning backing to front for binding works and is easy but only if you want your binding to match the backing. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
Check out my binding instructions on QuiltersTV and under Quilters Cafe. The binding show is still airing. I am told it is very good instructions.....lol.
One thing I have learned in working with these instructions is absolute need for accuracy in seam allowances. I am heading to Atlanta next month to do more taping for QuiltersTV and will expand on the binding show.
After you get to QuiltersTV search for my name and Binding.
Holice Turnbow
Thanks for the link, Holice. I found our episode, I'm off to watch it. Do you handstitch or machine?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
Originally Posted by carolaug
I have found that doing a two inch binding (double fold) sew to the front side and then hand stitch on the back looks the best...I also hate binding....I like machine sewing it but looks better when I hand do it. I am going to start doing a few of the pillow quilts or as some call it birthing a quilt. No binding...
Isn't there a way to do it by pulling the backing around to the front?
Yes, of course you can. I do my machine binding that way - always. I sew it to the back - the same way as anyone would sew it to the front. Then fold it to the front. Once it's been pressed really well, then I go over it again using Sharon Schamber's method of using school glue to hold it. You have to use a very thin line of glue - so put it in a special bottle with a steel "pin hole" top that you can get a Michaels in the porcelain painting area.
Do a bit at a time, glue it and set it with the dry iron. This washes out with absolutely no residue.
Now the fun part. If you don't like straight topstitching, use a feather stitch or a blanket stitch over the edge of the binding on the front. Presto!

Machine binding with a feather stitch
[ATTACH=CONFIG]158717[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-158712.jpe  
Old 01-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

If you have a friend or fellow quilter that lives close to you, maybe she can help. Sometimes it just feels akward but then when you are shown it makes perfect sense. I must be a little strange but binding is my favorite part of the quilting. Find it so relaxing and also cuz the quilt is finally almost done.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Peg
If you have a friend or fellow quilter that lives close to you, maybe she can help. Sometimes it just feels akward but then when you are shown it makes perfect sense. I must be a little strange but binding is my favorite part of the quilting. Find it so relaxing and also cuz the quilt is finally almost done.
Oddly enough, I feel the same way. The first quilt I made for someone else (the reason I bought my new machine in 2009), was a special baby quilt, using squares contributed by members of my church. I was/AM such a novice and beginner, and made it so much harder on myself than it would have been if I had just known what I was doing. I basically reinvented the wheel. So lots of mistakes, but it still did turn out really cute. But with all that, I was very happy with the binding. I looked at lots of directions, both in books and online, took my time, and this was the first one that I hand sewed it to the back, and that made a huge difference. Really the binding for me was the best part of that whole quilt!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:33 AM

I know some on this board do not like Sharon Schamber's method of using Elmer's School Glue, but I find it makes the job of binding much easier -- no pins to deal with. Since using Sharon's glue method and Kitsie's perfect binding tutorial (http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-51632-1.htm), my bindings have turned out perfect.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Peg
The only quilter friend I know does her binding by folding over from the backing. I don't mind this method, but I'm determined to master the other way too. There are many Iowans here on this board, but I havn't found any very close to me.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Evie
I know some on this board do not like Sharon Schamber's method of using Elmer's School Glue, but I find it makes the job of binding much easier -- no pins to deal with. Since using Sharon's glue method and Kitsie's perfect binding tutorial (http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-51632-1.htm), my bindings have turned out perfect.
Evie, I can't get your link to work. Am I doing it wrong?
Old 01-12-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
Originally Posted by Evie
Evie, I can't get your link to work. Am I doing it wrong?
It seems to be the right link. You can find it by looking in the Tutorials section. Also, this is the same one I linked to here:
http://pir8.freeservers.com/quilting...ding/index.htm
Old 01-12-2011, 09:23 AM

Do a search for the "Cut-Rite Bind Up Tool". I couldn't do a binding to save my soul. This tool is inexpensive and easy to use. There is a video tutorial to show you how. (I'd find it for you, bit I'm on my iPad which makes it a bit of a process.) I love this tool. It has solved my binding problems.