Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can there be too much quilting on a top? >

Can there be too much quilting on a top?

Can there be too much quilting on a top?

Old 01-18-2011, 03:27 AM
tmg

I guess it will depend on what it is used for.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by RST
Sure it can be overdone, but I also see quilts that would be much improved by more quilting, or more thoughtful pairing of quilting design with the piecing patterns.

RST
I agree with you and it also depends on the batting you use. If you used Warm and Natural and quilted it very close it would be too stiff.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:43 AM

LAQ is o.k. I guess, but I am an old traditionalist. I piece and quilt by hand. Machine piecing probably holds up better, but hand piecing is my therapy.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:06 AM

I think all those heavily quilted "quilts" are beautiful BUT I think all those qults should be in a category called "Fiber Arts" (including those that are heavily embellished with all kinds of beads, metal objects, doo-dads, painting, etc.)

We lose sight of what a quilts true purpose is. To keep us and our loved ones warm.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:18 AM

I send my quilts out for "The Minimum Quilting" possible.

I do not like stippling at all.

edited to add: I always take thread to the quilter. Brand new thread maybe not the color we chose for my quilt but she always likes it.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by SuzanneG
I think densely quilted quilts are incredibly beautiful to look at and make great wall hangings. But on bed, lap or baby quilts, I like much less quilting so it stays nice and comfy rather than stiff. Both are beautiful and have their place but for my quilts (which are almost all utility quilts) I quilt moderatley so it looks nice, but stays soft. In the end, we all do what makes us happy with our quilts and that's as it should be. :D
I agree. I did not like the quilt on the cover of one of the recent quilt catalogs (Keepsakes?) but when I saw the quilt displayed inside with much less quilting, I thought it was beautiful. I think right now LAQ are still in the "let's see what can be done" mode. I sincerely doubt that it will become the "norm" of LAQ --too time consuming, too expensive, etc. etc. Just my thoughts.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:28 AM

I agree with the opinions of too much quilting. It gets my goat to see such beautifully pieced quilts in the magazines just ruined with every inch covered with quilting! This is overkill totally and I see no beauty in it. The quilts look so stiff and unpleasant to the touch that I just wonder at what the quilter was thinking. I have even emailed the editors but that is not going to change anything. Like many good things, they just get out of hand and ruin an otherwise lovely quilt.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat
Lots of quilting is ok,as long as I don't own it.Can't use it on a bed & after pics are taken, what do they do with them? Maybe they're meant for banks etc to hang?

Saw one last yr that I'd dare anyone to tell me what color fabric was used.You couldn't even tell the base color...before it was threaded to death.Even every day quilting by a LA quilter changes the feel of a quilt.No softness, no comfy curl up left.JMO
Here, Here.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:35 AM

I'd say it just depends on the quilt. Sometimes less is more.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:45 AM

yes you can over quilt a quilt. I personally do not like so much quilting it makes them stiff. okay for wall hangings & place mats or table runners but not quilts I would like them to be somewhat soft. okay if it is a show piece.