Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice >

2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice

2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice

Old 01-06-2014, 01:31 PM

GGal that quilt is super beautiful, your colours go so well together and your white gives definition to the design, well done
Old 01-06-2014, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
Okay, I really need help. This is so humbling. I have to admit, I thought I was a pretty good quilter. My points usually match up pretty well, but these chevron blocks have me pulling my hair out. The tops that have been posted so far look really good, so it's not a universal problem, just a "me" problem. So I need one of two things from my lovely quilting friends if you would be so kind.

1) If you finished your top and your chevron pieces don't match up (where the orange piece of the HST touches the green chevron), please show some closeups of that spot along with the overall top so I'll be able to see that indeed, not having perfect points won't matter once it's finished.
Or 2) tell me how on earth you pin to make those spots match up. Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious and when I understand from someone else how it's done, I'll get it.
if you go up the thread to my post #503 and click on the image, when the photo comes up click it again for a much closer view.
Course I've only been making quilts steadily since 1970 (I started at 2 years old) but no, absolutely no quilt is perfect. I'm sure even the ones that take top $$ at Houston have little missbobbles in them.

Even though I spray starched my fabric well, I also had trouble with my chevrons and the pointy star units.
After about the 3rd one that was too big as I was assembling, I stopped and put the 3.5" ruler on them. They were both bigger than 3.5"
The chevrons on the sides and the pointy star ones on the bottom where the background fabric is.

So I should have starched the neutral more, and I just need to practice the chevrons more. Practice makes perfect.
This is way to pretty a quilt to stuff in the bottom of a closet. Unless you are foolish enough to show off chipped off points no one will notice.

Hurry up, we want to see your top!!
Oh...and I never pin except when doing the final long seams

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 01-06-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:00 PM

Kalama, Thank you for pointing out your few very, very small imperfections. Mine were significantly more noticeable, but after working on them all day (sew, rip out, sew, rip out etc) I'm actually getting better. I'm pinning a lot on the chevron block, but that's okay as long as I'm happy with the results. I don't mind taking a long time to get a good result, but working and working to get a result that was way off was driving me nuts!

One thing I noticed from looking at the links is that the brighter colors that pop with contrast really show mismatched points much more than the softer blends. I used bright, strong colors so it's a busy quilt! I'm so impressed by some of the color combinations people used!

Yours is lovely and your experience shows!
Old 01-06-2014, 02:30 PM

Emma, thank you for the picture. I had planned on trimming all 244 chevrons today but on my very first one, if I trim to save the chevron points it's to big by 1/4". I'll either have to re sew the bottom part or not care that it's very blunt. I actually walked away from it. I decided to use the strip method and followed the directions to a T. My sample worked so I dove into them. One or a few bad points I wouldn't care about. But all of them... I'm sure it's my error. If I had it to do over. I'd 100% use Bonnie's method. I sure haven't saved time doing strips.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

gardnergal your quilt is gorgeous!! I keep showing all the new pictures posted to DH and he is amazed (as I am) how unique each quilt is with their variations of colors! Great job everyone!! Also thanks for posted your hints on how to make the clues easier to do. I also decided to add two more rows to make the quilt longer and the quilting panto Bonnie used came in the mail today, woohoo!!!
Old 01-06-2014, 04:03 PM

These quilts are all beautiful.Have been following this thread as I work on celtic solstice and really benefit
from all the tips and techniques shared along the way. Managed to keep up with the clues but have put it aside for now
I went with Bonnies colours but think my blues and greens are too dark. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:23 PM

Tweety: I went to Urban Elementz looking for the panto. Found some really nice ones but din't find "Celtic Curlz" is it on another site? Now here comes the really stupid question. What form does the panto come in, is it a plastic template or is it something else?
Old 01-06-2014, 05:03 PM

A few days ago I posted a picture of a quilt that was started in a class Bonnie did in DE in the spring of 2012. More than once, I seriously considered tossing this out. Part of my problems were my own errors (not being familiar with the Tri Recs rulers at the time, and not being careful enough with them when cutting) and partly b/c of not one but two problem machines that I used while working on it at different times.

For whatever reason, I kept at it, on and off, for over a year. There were so many points that were either lopped off or floating that I was too embarassed to take it to my favorite LA. Eventually, I took it to a shop nearby and had a panto done on it.

Holy cow, I LOVE this quilt and am so very glad I didn't give up. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t238058.html Nope, it's not perfect, but if I'm not looking for those problems and look at the overall, I really, really do like it! It was never my intention to have it be judged, so why was I judging it - and myself - so harshly! I swear, this is the one that has helped me realize that I do this for fun, for enjoyment and basically because I love fabrics and textiles. I'm going to continue to try to do my best, and to keep learning and perfecting, but am going to really try to not get stressed over the little things.

Somebody - whether it's you, your family, or somebody you don't know and never will - will love that you took bits and pieces and made a fabulous and beautiful quilt. Those little things that you are stressed over won't even be noticed.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:12 PM

PeaceandJoy, thank you for sharing that. The errors we see, we only see because we are right on top of them at the moment. And quilting and washing disappear a lot of things

Thank you everyone for sharing your images and thoughts!
See you all tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:18 PM

Tweety - your quilt looks great, much farther ahead than I've gotten, Good For You!