Girl Scout Cookies

Old 02-24-2011, 09:34 AM

Some parents do the thing at work do increase the girls sales and so they don't have to go with them as is the rules. The girls are not allowed to go out by themselves but must have someone 18 or older with them. Some parents don't have the time except during the weekend and then some not even then. Some of them use gs as babysitters. The girls and the program are worth it. I know. I was not only a gs for 10 years and went to overnight camp for 8 but when my daughter was the right age I took an active role in many position from transportation and share to leader. It is SO worth it.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel
They are $3.50 here in Iowa. What bothers me about this (gs cookies, magazine sales, etc) is why is it most of the time the parents end up taking these things around to family and work, but the kids never sell any of it. I do understand that most of the time, these things are fundraisers for programs or trips, but what are we teaching the children with it? My rule has always been... I'll buy, but only if I get the speech from the child. Not if its a parent just passing it around at work. I remember walking around the neighborhood as a child and selling magazines. I met a lot of people and it doesn't bother me to talk to people I don't know, is it because I went door to door or is it just my personality??? (I'm not saying door to door is the answer, I realize it isn't as safe for children as it was for me as a kid.)
As the mother of a 7yo brownie, door to door sales is not appealing. I took my husband walking with us when I took her door to door, we spent 2 hours walking the neighborhood to sell 5 boxes. People were rude, we had people look out see us and ignore us, others opened the door said no before she even got words out and slammed the door. Now what is that teaching. After doing it for the first time this year I will not take her again. The sad part is I live in a great neighborhood, really close to the local golf course and filled with older people, probably retired. I would have expected them to at least be nice to her. The only ones that bought cookies and were nice were the younger adults like myself (early 30's). Thankfully she has an awesome Nanny who took the order form to work and sold some boxes for her so she earned her badges.

I did make her help sort and organize all the cookies and write thank you notes to 100 customers.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:48 AM

I remember when I lived in NY they were $6.00 a box! Now that I'm back in Fl it's a more reasonable $3.50.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

$5 on Long island
Old 02-24-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by crochetetc
Originally Posted by Rachel
They are $3.50 here in Iowa. What bothers me about this (gs cookies, magazine sales, etc) is why is it most of the time the parents end up taking these things around to family and work, but the kids never sell any of it. I do understand that most of the time, these things are fundraisers for programs or trips, but what are we teaching the children with it? My rule has always been... I'll buy, but only if I get the speech from the child. Not if its a parent just passing it around at work. I remember walking around the neighborhood as a child and selling magazines. I met a lot of people and it doesn't bother me to talk to people I don't know, is it because I went door to door or is it just my personality??? (I'm not saying door to door is the answer, I realize it isn't as safe for children as it was for me as a kid.)
As the mother of a 7yo brownie, door to door sales is not appealing. I took my husband walking with us when I took her door to door, we spent 2 hours walking the neighborhood to sell 5 boxes. People were rude, we had people look out see us and ignore us, others opened the door said no before she even got words out and slammed the door. Now what is that teaching. After doing it for the first time this year I will not take her again. The sad part is I live in a great neighborhood, really close to the local golf course and filled with older people, probably retired. I would have expected them to at least be nice to her. The only ones that bought cookies and were nice were the younger adults like myself (early 30's). Thankfully she has an awesome Nanny who took the order form to work and sold some boxes for her so she earned her badges.

I did make her help sort and organize all the cookies and write thank you notes to 100 customers.
wow, that's cold... slamming the door on a little girl.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

I had no idea that the prices varied!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I'd pay anything for their Thin Mints :D:D:D
Supporting Scouts is GREAT; however, you can also buy Great Value thin mints at Wal-mart. They taste the same to me and are available year-round.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:05 PM

Our area is $3.50 Prices are set by the GS Council in the area, part of sales are for troop and part are for council to cover costs, camp grounds, etc.
Girls are told that they are NOT to go door to door unless an adult is with them-it just isn't safe. If you are a working mom it may leave little time to go door to door, and if everyone else is at work, they won't be home to answer the door until after work. I did take my girls around the neightborhood before I worked full time-very few people were home before 6 pm. I think this is why it has shifted to moms (& maybe dads) taking forms to work. I order mine from work and from the tables sometimes set up outside a store. My daughter would offer me her "reward" for selling if she got one.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

$3.50 in WI
Old 02-24-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I'd pay anything for their Thin Mints :D:D:D
ME TOO!!!!