Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Eastward bound & looking for great quilt shops, etc. >

Eastward bound & looking for great quilt shops, etc.

Eastward bound & looking for great quilt shops, etc.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:00 PM

Make sure you check out the Marden's stores in Maine. You can google them to find out the locations. They sell top quality quilt fabric. They purchase the leftover fabirc from the top designers lines of the year before.Kaufmann, Moda, Thimbleberries. Most expensive is 4.99 and 108" fabric is 7.99. A MUST stop for anyone in Maine. www.mardens.com
Old 05-28-2011, 08:01 PM

Oh yes, Marden's is on the list! Thank you!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:28 AM

How was your trip? Did you visit a lot of shops? Did you get a lot done?
Old 08-04-2011, 04:40 PM

I'm finally back from my fabulous trip and would do it again in a heartbeat. We (my friend - fellow quilter and traveling companion) drove from Grove City, Ohio to my daughter's house in Standish, Maine in 15.5 hrs. Ten days later we set out on our quilt fabric shop extravaganza. I left Arizona June 2nd & returned July 21st! My cats didn't recognize me and I've been sucking up to them ever since. They don't forgive easily. :)

We began in Windham, ME at the Calico Basket Quilt Shop. They gave us a thermal tote in which to deposit our just-purchased stash! The tote was leftover from the shop hop and is great for keeping cold food cold on the way home from the grocery. It was FULL of fabric when we left.

From there we went to Marden's in Scarborough, ME. I was amazed at the prices and the selection. I began frugally but slowly & surely gave up and added to my growing collection. You really can't beat Marden's prices.

A sidetrip to LL Bean in Freeport, ME was a necessity and then on to Keepsake Quilting in Center Harbor, NH. Oh my goodness! Where to begin? I began in the sale room and stocked up on several yards of blenders and backing fabrics, which I've already used. Three hours later and arms full, we drone on to Concord, NH.

After 2 hours and a nice long chat with the staff at The Golden Geese Quilt Shop, we left in pouring rain and came across a quaint little shop in Bennington, VT and had no problem finding a clutch of fat quarters and other yardage to purchase. Sadly, I don't have the name and can't find it online or printed on the receipt.

The rain continued, but didn't dampen our spirits! On through NY and into PA to Martin's Fabric in Lebanon, The Quilt & Fabric Shack, Zook's and Bitty Kinna's in Bird-in-Hand, Dutchland Quilt Patch in Ronks, and Burkholder's in Denver. Whew! It took 3 days to shop the PA stores! The trunk AND back seat were stacked with fabric!

Finally back in Ohio, we went to Miller's Dry Goods in Charm and Swiss Village Quilts in Sugarcreek - a well-kept secret. The store isn't large but my friend, my sister and I were unable to find a bolt we DIDN'T like! That was an expensive stop! Great selection at reasonable prices.

Getting closer to "home" we went to Red Rooster Quilts in Dublin, Quilt Beginnings in Columbus, and a final stop at Always in Stitches in Grove City. At this point, had either of us wanted more fabric, we would have to hold it on our lap or drape it around us!

I honestly can't say anything negative about any store. Other than having my grandson's quilt, my luggage (with 6 wks. of clothes), my laptop AND Elna sewing machine stolen from my car, the trip was a wonderful quilt fabric-shopping adventure.

Thank you to everyone who suggested stores to visit. There are so many we were unable to fit into our itinerary. Hopefully we can do it again and not only visit our favorites, but also all those we didn't hit this time.

Karren
Old 08-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Google Goddess

so happy you had a fun trip visiting the quilt shops

Originally Posted by geckos42
I'm finally back from my fabulous trip and would do it again in a heartbeat. We (my friend - fellow quilter and traveling companion) drove from Grove City, Ohio to my daughter's house in Standish, Maine in 15.5 hrs. Ten days later we set out on our quilt fabric shop extravaganza. I left Arizona June 2nd & returned July 21st! My cats didn't recognize me and I've been sucking up to them ever since. They don't forgive easily. :)

We began in Windham, ME at the Calico Basket Quilt Shop. They gave us a thermal tote in which to deposit our just-purchased stash! The tote was leftover from the shop hop and is great for keeping cold food cold on the way home from the grocery. It was FULL of fabric when we left.

From there we went to Marden's in Scarborough, ME. I was amazed at the prices and the selection. I began frugally but slowly & surely gave up and added to my growing collection. You really can't beat Marden's prices.

A sidetrip to LL Bean in Freeport, ME was a necessity and then on to Keepsake Quilting in Center Harbor, NH. Oh my goodness! Where to begin? I began in the sale room and stocked up on several yards of blenders and backing fabrics, which I've already used. Three hours later and arms full, we drone on to Concord, NH.

After 2 hours and a nice long chat with the staff at The Golden Geese Quilt Shop, we left in pouring rain and came across a quaint little shop in Bennington, VT and had no problem finding a clutch of fat quarters and other yardage to purchase. Sadly, I don't have the name and can't find it online or printed on the receipt.

The rain continued, but didn't dampen our spirits! On through NY and into PA to Martin's Fabric in Lebanon, The Quilt & Fabric Shack, Zook's and Bitty Kinna's in Bird-in-Hand, Dutchland Quilt Patch in Ronks, and Burkholder's in Denver. Whew! It took 3 days to shop the PA stores! The trunk AND back seat were stacked with fabric!

Finally back in Ohio, we went to Miller's Dry Goods in Charm and Swiss Village Quilts in Sugarcreek - a well-kept secret. The store isn't large but my friend, my sister and I were unable to find a bolt we DIDN'T like! That was an expensive stop! Great selection at reasonable prices.

Getting closer to "home" we went to Red Rooster Quilts in Dublin, Quilt Beginnings in Columbus, and a final stop at Always in Stitches in Grove City. At this point, had either of us wanted more fabric, we would have to hold it on our lap or drape it around us!

I honestly can't say anything negative about any store. Other than having my grandson's quilt, my luggage (with 6 wks. of clothes), my laptop AND Elna sewing machine stolen from my car, the trip was a wonderful quilt fabric-shopping adventure.

Thank you to everyone who suggested stores to visit. There are so many we were unable to fit into our itinerary. Hopefully we can do it again and not only visit our favorites, but also all those we didn't hit this time.

Karren
Old 08-05-2011, 04:45 AM

An amazing adventure.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:01 AM

Absolutely look up Mardens!! There are (or at leats WERE several years ago) several of them. I remember Sanford and Waterville. I would buy tons of fabric there. I absolutely LOVED that place!!

Oops.. sorry, I was so excited when I thought of Mardens that I didn't read to the end of this thread! Glad its still an amazing place and that you had a great time!
Old 08-06-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Zappycat
Absolutely look up Mardens!! There are (or at leats WERE several years ago) several of them. I remember Sanford and Waterville. I would buy tons of fabric there. I absolutely LOVED that place!!

Oops.. sorry, I was so excited when I thought of Mardens that I didn't read to the end of this thread! Glad its still an amazing place and that you had a great time!
I understand your excitement, because Marden's IS an exciting place! We spent 3 hours there. Lots of eye candy. Wish it were in MY backyard. :)
Old 08-06-2011, 01:01 PM

if you are in Main, find a MARDENs, and make sure it is one that sells fabric. they sell all of last year's fabric at crazy low prices. When i went this year, I spent $160 and brought home well over 50 yards of LQS fabric. it's hit or miss, and they sell a bunch of other stuff, but if you know what you are looking for you can get great buys on first quality fabric.

keepsake is big, bright, expensive and smack in the middle of a touristy area, but it is a beautiful area and one you should check out. I lived in NH most of my life, and I'd rate keepsake as place you need to experience, but not a place i'd call my regular shop, and I lived close by. check it out, you won't be disappointed.

The Bunkhouse in Lydenborough is great, tell Wanda i said hello. Pickering Farm in NH is also another favorite of mine.

also, check out the new england quilt museum in Lowell, MA. this is great because Lowell was a textile city during the industrial revolution, you can still see the old mill buildings where textiles where made - believe you can tour some also.

enjoy your trip!