Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you have a sewing machine repair person? >

do you have a sewing machine repair person?

do you have a sewing machine repair person?

Old 03-07-2011, 12:21 PM

There use to be a repair shop VAC/SEW where we went. But they have closed down. Now there is no one. I heard of an older gentleman about an hour away. BUT......
Old 03-07-2011, 12:27 PM

my DH takes care of all my machines.

when i started sewing i told him he had to learn how to work on sewing machines because it was too much time and money to have them serviced by any one else.

i'm very lucky that DH can do these things.

he also services/repairs my washer, dryer, frig, dish washer, microwave, boiler, hot water heater - just to name a few of the things he has fixed in the last 20 years for us.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:18 PM

The same repairman has worked at one of my favorite sewing centers (sells machines only) for years and years, even though the shop has changed ownerships a few times. I've begun to notice how old he is looking and how stooped he is now. I also doubt many young guys are going into this business. Then what will we do????
Old 03-07-2011, 03:26 PM

I have one on my Brother. Yes, I do use. On occasion when
I have it in the up position (by using the button) I give it just
a tinsy turn of the wheel if it didn't do it the first time that seems
to do it. I'm a little spoiled having it now, but the best feture
is the needle down and cutting the thread with a push of the
button. Sure saves time, picking up those sissors every time.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MillieH
The same repairman has worked at one of my favorite sewing centers (sells machines only) for years and years, even though the shop has changed ownerships a few times. I've begun to notice how old he is looking and how stooped he is now. I also doubt many young guys are going into this business. Then what will we do????
exactly, what will we and the next generation of sewers we are training right now going to do in the future?
Old 03-07-2011, 04:06 PM

Wish I did. I have 3 vintage machines that need to be stripped down and cleaned and I am scared to death to do it
Old 03-07-2011, 04:31 PM

I take mine to my LQS. They have a gentleman that comes once a week and does a great job. All Models
Old 03-07-2011, 05:06 PM

Yes I have the most reliable repair man in the world he will call in and fix my machine with just one phone call knows the answers to everything you could possiably think of , can fix any machine I have seen him repair a machine 70 years old to the very latest models .
He did serve an apprenship for 4years and and is very well trained , now run the whole dept he stared in and teaches the training , has worked in the same job since he left school , 22 years ago and just loves what he is doing .
Bernina are lucky to have him , and i am very lucky to call son.......
His company advetized for months for new young guy to start work with no luck , a lot of young folks think it not a glamous job , but you have to cover so much now on how to fix computers and electronics not as easy as people think . Cathy
Old 03-07-2011, 05:19 PM

we have a guy here and he is great, works on anything. they also have all kinds of machines and have classes, the person doing the classes brings the kits or what ever it is you paid to learn to do. no fabric in the shop. we have no quilt shop here anymore.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:22 PM

Where I live is also remote. But if we drive 30 minutes south of us, there is a Sewing Machine/Vacuum Cleaner repair shop and an old couple has owned and ran it for the past 40 years that I know of (thats how long I have lived in the area). If you need ANY machine or Vacuumed worked on...thats the place to go. If you need vacuum cleaner bags for an old wannabe vacuum....most likely you will find them there or even a belt for your grandmas ancient old hoover vacuum, they most likely have them too. :)