Would you let an 11 y.o.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:07 PM

Do you have any idea as to how long the flight is as I can assure - its a heck of a long flight & next if anything - God forbid does happen - then who is in the UK to help out & what contacts are available at short notice...ie things could happen after hours & then what??

if was me - then I would say NO & give the reasons....there would have to be a Plan B, Plan C etc for each & every scenario that may arise.

Plus has Grand Ma ever been to the UK before....I work in legal & travel there many times re my work & I can also assure you that it can be a nightmare at the best of times....then next - if anything does happen - then who in the family would take responsibility for making such a foolish decision to allow such a trip as this....remember if something happens - then a long ways from home right & don't forget the time differance re having to make any emergency phone calls.

Not sorry for saying this....but bad idea all round
Old 03-10-2011, 05:27 PM

Absolutely not. Sounds like they just want someone to babysit grandma.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:39 PM

I would say no...Too far to go ...She would be in another country should something bad happen to either of them..It would be great if she were older and more mature...BUT, at 11, I would not let my child go unless a parent would be there too...
Old 03-10-2011, 05:52 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

May I ask the obvious questions?

Does the 11 y.o. want to go on this trip?

Does GGM want to go? And does she want the child to go with her?

Does the child know GGM well enough that she would be comfortable spending the whole time with her?

If the answer is yes to all the above, well, think of the tremendous gift it would be to GGM to have this precious time to spend with a precious child. Next year might be too late. The clock is ticking down.

To be considered: will the trip involve a lot of time spent on a bus? Would the child be okay with that? If she gets bored in that type of situation, what about sending a electronic toy with her to keep her occupied/soothed during the boring times?

Sometimes kids are "needy/whiny" with one family member but quite different with another.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by MrsM
I think since they are with a group and if her Grand-mother is pyhsically and mentally fit...why not?
I agree.
But I think the most important person to ask is the 11 year old.

It is a guided group and I'm sure the group must be comfortable with it, liability wise.
It would be a fantastic opportunity for the 11 year old.

Also, what is/are the mother's objections to it?

I traveled from Hilo, Hawaii to California at about that age with my Grandmother when the flights were all of 12 hours long on a four prop jet. The only negative effect I can report is that I now can't stand anyone who twiddles their tnumbs! Grandma was on her first trip and extremely nervous. I now can't stand any thumb twiddling!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:32 PM

If I'm 90 years old and going on a European tour, I don't want someone else's child on the trip. Wouldn't want my own grandchild of that age being my responsibility. I would want to be with other seniors who will be moving at the same pace I am. Plus, a difficult child who's prone to tears. Nope, not me. Not even at 53. I'm surprised the tour group would even allow it.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:45 PM

Stating first that this is a MYOB issue, I taught 6-12yr. olds for 17 years (and that ended in 2000). Also, my sister & I went for a supervised trip to England, Ireland & Scotland (and we were let's say,+45).There were many times we were closely supervised - but still got lost. We had problems with the money exchange rate,& the languages were difficult (& I'm an English lit major-I thought I knew it all!)And, we were exhausted- I can't imagine a 90 yr.-old keeping up, especially with a young girl. I don't mean to throw a wet blanket on the party, but especially with changes in the world situation since 2000, I don't know if I'd go abroad right now.I may not know all of the specifics of the situation, but as an honorary Militant Mom, I'd say no way, no how.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by milp04
Originally Posted by ssgramma
go from Denver, CO to London, UK with her almost 90 y.o. Great Grandmother? It would be on an organized tour.

We are apalled that her Dad actually asked her Mom (divorced) to allow it. The Mom is looking for any and all ways to say no without being ugly about it.

So, if you would not allow it please tell us why ;-)

Or if you would let her go what is your reasoning?
First off, I would ask, does the child want to go? What does the child think they will gain from the trip?

If the 11 y.o. was considered mature I think it would be a great experience. Does she follow direction and instructions? It would also be a comfort to the great grandmother to have a little helper along. What a time to make memories that will never ever be forgotten.

If the youngster is considered responsible and mature I think it would be an awesome trip for both. What an opportunity to see a part of the world that will be studied in school. There may be a way that the trip could be used for school credit.

Are there going to be any other family members in the UK? How long is the trip? Are there any other younger children going on the same tour? Have they in the past? Have you checked with the tour guides and asked their opinion? Will they (child and ggm) have the ability to be in daily contact with each other (mom and dad)? What is the health of the great-grandmother? With an organized tour you are with tour guides all through-out the day. I'm sure that ggm would always be right together.

Please try not to add everyone's feelings from the divorce into this decision making process. It is very easy to say no because of grudges. Please keep in mind the wonderful opportunity provided to the child. Don't keep an opportunity of a life-time from the child because of being divorced. That would be selfish.

Pam M
My Ex-DIL uses her boys to get even...everyone thinks this girl is a princess and she is nothing but evil!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:50 PM

I guess I would require that I go along with an 11 year old. I would worry something would happen to her. I would go along - maybe GGM could pay your way too.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:54 PM

no