Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How many members live on the farm or ranch? >
  • How many members live on the farm or ranch?

• How many members live on the farm or ranch?

Old 03-26-2011, 08:34 PM

Yeap I'm stuck on this farm and know theres no way I could make it in a town. We have 800 acres and run mostly cattle now. I take care of things on the farm and DH helps when he can. Did have 300 goats at one time with the cattle have had about every kind of livestock at sometime plus buffalo miniature horses, and mules. Grand kids love to go patty kicking in thier muckys although daughters get mad
    Old 03-27-2011, 03:53 AM

when I was little my Mom used to send us to my Aunt and Uncle's farm for the summer -to fatten us up-(we were sickly ,skinny kids)My Uncle had 100 acres,raised milk cows,pigs,chickens,duck and raised ring-neck pheasants for the state. We were expected to help with the farm chores. I loved it ! We milked cows-slopped hogs,made hay. The best part was supper-my Aunt was the typical farmers wife and could cook for an army and man could she cook! My brother and I would go home at the end of the supper looking fat and healthy. I did so love that life. :-D
    Old 03-27-2011, 03:53 AM

when I was little my Mom used to send us to my Aunt and Uncle's farm for the summer -to fatten us up-(we were sickly ,skinny kids)My Uncle had 100 acres,raised milk cows,pigs,chickens,duck and raised ring-neck pheasants for the state. We were expected to help with the farm chores. I loved it ! We milked cows-slopped hogs,made hay. The best part was supper-my Aunt was the typical farmers wife and could cook for an army and man could she cook! My brother and I would go home at the end of the summer looking fat and healthy. I did so love that life. :-D
    Old 03-27-2011, 03:56 AM

All my Dad's brothers had dairies and farms when we were growing up. Loved to visit and play with all that "stuff". My Mom was always concerned we would be dirty for the drive home...lol
    Old 03-27-2011, 04:09 AM

We have a small farm---chickens, rabbits, hogs, and fruit. Our biggest crop by far however, is rocks. We grow the biggest and most prolific crop of rocks each year---it's truly astonishing! We're pretty good at weeds too....must be all that fertilizer...
    Old 03-27-2011, 04:10 AM

I grew up in the country. We lived in our apple orchard. Down the road was a farmer, my brother took care of his cows every morning and night. We used to ride on hay wagons and help bring in wheat. My brothers had a calf and chicken for FFA projects. We also had rabbits. I even had my own 6 chickens that came free with feed. Of course they were all roosters. When my brother was in high school he worked for a farmer who raised pigs, cows, and sheep. Every Saturday I helped him bathe the pigs and clean out the barn. Whenever there was a runt ignored by the mother, I got to nurse it back to health. My dad wasn't too happy having a piglet or a little lamb following me around the house and sleeping in a box in my bedroom. I miss all that. I also babysat for people who raised mink. Had to get to know the mink before the people went on vacation because they are very mean and will kill each other if a stranger comes near. The only good things mink are for is coats. Nasty animals. I would love to have some chickens now but my yard is too small.
    Old 03-27-2011, 04:27 AM

Have 7 acres m/l. Hope to move there permanently as soon as the weather warms.

My maternal grandparents had a farm. Loved the times spent there. Personally, I think every child should experience spending time on a farm at some time. It was great fun.
    Old 03-27-2011, 05:36 AM

My parents moved to an 80 acre farm when I was three years old and I lived there until I was 19 and at that time was the oldest of five children. Family moved to town several years after I left home.

Can't do much with 80 acres, though we did graze some milk cows and baled some hay. I remember having pigs at one time and there were always chickens. We usually had a huge garden and canned lots of the produce.

Went to a one-room school house through the fifth grade, but couldn't start school until the neighbor boy was old enough to go (luckily he was only a year younger) because my father worked in town and my mother didn't drive (at that time).

The neighbor boy and I went to three different schools (consolidations) together and although we live 200 miles apart, are still friends sixty years later.
    Old 03-27-2011, 05:42 AM
    Power Poster

This has been a fun thread to read. We live on a small farm with a little herd of cattle, couple of horses and all the accompanying dogs, and cats. In the past we raised tons of chickens, duck, geese, turkeys, quail, and goats. Love it all. There is no way I can live in town....I don't know what we will do when our health forces the issue...I'm dreading the day. I love nothing more than to saddle up and ride out the driveway. You can barely see our nearest neighbor and I love it that way...if fences make for great neighbors...distance works even better- LOL!
    Old 03-27-2011, 06:03 AM

Don't now but grew up on a farm. Now live in a small town (400 population)