Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
2-1/2" Strip Variation help..... (jelly rolls, balipops, etc.) >

2-1/2" Strip Variation help..... (jelly rolls, balipops, etc.)

2-1/2" Strip Variation help..... (jelly rolls, balipops, etc.)

Old 04-01-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by seamstome
Ok I guess I should have said would you accept 35 inches for a yard? I bought Bali pops once and they were cut inaccurately and wonky. At 39 bucks for what is 100 inches of fabric, they should be cut accurately no matter where in the world they are being cut or by whom. IMO, there is no excuse for Hoffman's poor quality control in this area.

This is a great way to fix the problem but the real way to fix the problem is to NOT pay Hoffman for a poorly cut product.
I agree. If I went to a LQS and they cut fabric that way, I would ask for them to correct it. If they did not correct it, then I would refuse to shop there anymore. I don't see how this is any different.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:38 PM

Thanks for sharing a great idea you had found. I need this information and wouldn't have it if you hadn't posted it. I love and always enjoy seeing your avatar.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:49 PM

I really appreciate this 'lesson', my light bulb just turned on! I have been helping my GD make a lap quilt in a "Puzzle Pieces" pattern that I found as a free download. She had purchased a jelly roll of many colors of a tone-on-tone floral, perfect for her 4H project. We have had a DEVIL of a time getting things to fit properly. I re-checked her 2-1/2" cuts and her 1/4" seams and we still had to un-sew and trim a LOT to get things to fit. DUMMY ME! I didn't check the width of every strip, only a few of them, and then ASSUMED they were all correct. (Yeah, I know that definition of the word assume. :) ) I'll bet that's exactly what the problem was: irregular width cuts. It was a 'Blank Quilting' jelly roll, no reason to think there would be that much difference. Ah yes, live and learn! Thanks ladies!
Old 04-01-2011, 05:39 PM

Wonderful info - I have not tried the bali strips yet, but most likley will in the future - hope I rember this when the time comes :roll:
Old 04-01-2011, 05:40 PM

Wonderful info - I have not tried the bali strips yet, but most likley will in the future - hope I rember this when the time comes :roll:
Old 04-01-2011, 05:40 PM

Old 04-01-2011, 05:42 PM

Leave it to Debbie to have just the bit of wonderful advise to ensure we get our quilts together accurately. Thanks so much Debbie.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:43 PM

Leave it to Debbie to have just the bit of wonderful advise to ensure we get our quilts together accurately. Thanks so much Debbie.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:58 PM

I see double posts are still occuring. LOL. It is a good article and I'm pretty sure it will work in 99% of the cases. There's always the exception. Let's just hope it's not on one of ours. LOL. Hugs everyone. Thanks for the comments.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:05 PM

What a wonderful tip! I'd try it tonoght, but it's past my bed time. Thank you.