Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting EQ worth it? >

Getting EQ worth it?

Getting EQ worth it?

Old 04-07-2011, 08:08 PM

I have EQ and I do use it, but I really don't think it's worth the money or at least, it hasn't been for me. I have a friend that loves hers, so I guess it's just depends.

I did find this site. It's an online design software. You can try it for free and if you like it, you can subscribe for $9.99 per year. Plus you can cancel at any time. I should have tried something like that before I bought the EQ.

http://www.quiltingstudio.com/
Old 04-07-2011, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by quilting.addict
OH YES you want to get EQ!! I have done as many as 40 different designs/layouts to accomplish one quilt (that I never was disappointed with!). I had nearly as much fun doing the design as I did making the quilt! I agree with someone that EQ5 is sufficient for your needs. I also agree that the scaled down version like Quilt Pro would be fun for you too. There are no surprises when you have done all the prep work in EQ. Let me show you an example: I only had a 1 1/2 yd remnant to make a quilt. I've shown this quilt before on this forum, since I painted the center to match the remnant fabric. I could not have managed this without first doing it in EQ to assure enough fabric.
Oh my that is beautiful. I just ordered EQ7 can't wait for it to get here.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:35 AM

If I sold my copy of 5 or 6, then I can't upgrade to 7.... I don't own that registration number any longer!
Old 04-08-2011, 05:46 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by gypsylady5
If I sold my copy of 5 or 6, then I can't upgrade to 7.... I don't own that registration number any longer!
Yeah, well, technically.

But it you had already upgraded to EQ6, then you would still need your copy of EQ5 for any reinstalls (hard drive failures, new computers, etc.) as the upgrade looks for EQ5 on your hard drive. So you really couldn't sell it.

If you've upgraded to EQ7, then the software for the prior versions DOES NOT have to be installed when upgrading, but a valid EQ6 license/serial number must be entered. And it checks back with the EQ mothership.

But the way it works in the real world is that the person who bought your EQ5, should you decide to sell it, wouldn't be able to upgrade to EQ6 or EQ7 by using that EQ5 serial number. Most of the secondary EQ5 sales going on here and on eBay come with that understanding (that the upgrade has already been used, or will be used, by the original owner).

The secondary sales of EQ6 are bit more involved. If it's the upgrade, then you have to sell it with the EQ5 disks (unless the buyer already has EQ5 installed).
For either version (new or upgrade), you'd have to have remaining activations. And the new buyer could not upgrade to EQ7 if you already had. And all of that would have an effect on the price.

Not making any ethical judgments. Just saying.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

I've had EQ since EQ was MSDOS only. Still have EQ on floppy discs but no floppy disc drive on computers anymore. LOL. If you registered the software when you bought it the EQ website has your registration number stored. EQ5 I think was the last version you had to manually register. EQ7 is downloaded online. You can have it on any two computers at one time and download as many times as you want. If you have EQ5 you don't need it to install EQ7, the upgrade won't work from EQ5 to EQ7, only from EQ6 to EQ7.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:05 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
If you have EQ5 you don't need it to install EQ7, the upgrade won't work from EQ5 to EQ7, only from EQ6 to EQ7.
However, I do vaguely remember some talk about special pricing to upgrade from EQ5 to EQ7. It was more than the upgrade from EQ6 but less than the cost of new copy of EQ7.

If you happen to be in that situation, check with EQ for details. ;-)
Old 04-08-2011, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gypsylady5
I can't install 6 or 7 without 5 first.
You don't need EQ5 to install 6 or 6 to install 7. I deleted EQ5 completely before installing 6. I have 6 installed on my desktop and have 7 installed on two different computers. Not one time was I informed to install the other versions to get the new version installed.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:20 AM
MTS
Banned

Interesting.

My hard drive was replaced last fall (I'm still in mourning) and I'm pretty sure I had to reinstall EQ5 to use my upgrade to EQ6 CD. No EQ7 involved on that PC.
Yeah, I just checked. I did install it.

I guess I didn't even think to try to install 6 without 5. Hopefully, there won't be a next time to check to see if it works.

And there's this:
http://www.electricquilt.com/Shop/EQ6/EQ6upgrade.asp
Old 04-08-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Johanna Fritz
I want to get EQ7 because I enjoy making very complex paper piecing designs and EQ7 will give me more flexibility. I am interested in selling my EQ5. Johanna in WI
Have you checked out the EQ7 upgrade from EQ5. All you have to do is click thru from the EQ website, they will send you the EQ5 to EQ7 price, they offered me a book as a bonus! Hope this might help.
http://www.electricquilt.com/Shop/EQ5toEQ7.asp
Old 04-08-2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
...the upgrade won't work from EQ5 to EQ7, only from EQ6 to EQ7.
EQ has an upgrade offer currently for EQ5 users to go directly to EQ7, with a book thrown in to boot. Click through to email from EQ: http://www.electricquilt.com/Shop/EQ5toEQ7.asp