Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sewing Room - Help - Wall to Wall carpet >

Sewing Room - Help - Wall to Wall carpet

Sewing Room - Help - Wall to Wall carpet

Old 04-23-2011, 11:12 AM

Go to harbor freight and see if they have a magnet on a roller, they use these in machine shops to pick up all metal fragment and such. I have a magnet stick that mechanics use inside engine compartment to reach something that has fallen and cant reach with your hand/arm.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

What if you put down some of that indoor outdoor carpet over the other carpet.They even make it in like puzzle shaped pieces.They interlock.Then you could put down as much as you want ,where you want.I'm not sure where I seen the puzzle shaped ones at. Mary
Old 04-23-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
It looks like pretty new carpet, I was wondering if there was a less drastic solution then taking it up. We're going to be putting a bit of money into other things in the house and I hate to add that much to it.
I have wall to wall carpet and love it, even though it is charcoal color - no, I DIDN'T pick it!
Go to a place where they sell tools and buy a magnet on a extendable/telescopic wand. They are strong enough that needles and pins jump up on to it when it it waved around above the carpet surface. When I drop one I retrieve it right then.
Threads - I have a combination hand vac/upright that runs on a battery that allows me to use it without the roller beater being turned on. It swallows threads like kids eating spaghetti. Same for cut off triangle ears and trimmed off slivers of fabric.
I sweep up piles of scraps with a broom.
The other advantages are that it is not slippery ever, (the spools don't roll very far) and it muffles sound and is warm on my feet in the winter/cool weather.
Jeannie
Old 04-23-2011, 12:32 PM

I think the hardest thing about carpet is rolling my sewing chair on it. But I think I would live with it and use the money to replace it for something else you could use.
I just found the instructions for making a neat design wall on Quilt in a day with elenor Burns website. You can download the instructions and she also has a video on making it. i would love one.
check it out. also use large headed pins and they show up pretty good on carpet.
have fun with the new room . kjym Kathy
Old 04-23-2011, 12:37 PM

Boy, I'm getting all kinds of good ideas. Do you have the url for the Eleanor Burns directions for the design wall? I like her.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:53 PM

I sew in the living room since my "room" isn't finished yet and I think the hardest part is moving my rolling sewing chair on the carpet. I have dropped a few pins but they are pretty easy to spot with the big colored heads.
I want to rip out the carpet in my room but it is old and stained and really a mess. So hopefully it will go.
Enjoy your new home and room.
Oh just saw how to make a design wall on Elenor Burns web page. Would love to have one of those for my room. Check it out if you have the room for a lg. design wall It's called how to make a quilt in a day design wall.
kjym Kathy
Old 04-23-2011, 01:09 PM

Go to www.quiltinaday.com which is Eleanor Burns website. Then on the top row look for free patterns and go all the way to the bottom and click on how to make a design wall. It gives you a list of all the items you need and a step by step instructions on making it.
It looks really good and it is the same one that she uses in her sewing room.
I think on her video she has 2 side by side so that makes a big 8x8 which if you have the room would be great.
Check it out. She also has the directions how to take a regular table and making a sewing table out of it.
They cut a hole in the table the size of the machine and then make a shelf for sitting your machine into the table so it was level with the table top. Very neat.
hope this will be a help for you.
have fun and enjoy for new sewing room.
kjym Kathy
Old 04-23-2011, 01:25 PM

Great, thanks for the url and the idea, I've been to her site but I never saw the directions for the design wall. I usually go to her theatre section.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:59 PM

I don't know what you would call it over there but over here in Oz we have a clear heavy duty plastic that is called carpet protector. Some people buy it in hall widths to cover carpeting in high traffic areas like halls as it shows the carpet while keeping it clean from dirt. Can also be bought in room width.

Maybe1day
Old 04-23-2011, 03:26 PM

You can use a painters tarp or painters plastic. It will protect the carpet so you wont have to pull it up. You can even tape it down with painters tape to keep it from slipping.