Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome FMQ tension >

Janome FMQ tension

Janome FMQ tension

Old 04-27-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by lsmft
I bought a Janome 3160 (Quilter's machine) in July 2010. After the 5th repair, because of bobbin issues, the machine was replaced by dealer. I've had it for about 2 weeks but haven't used it much since I purchased a Brother machine while waiting for the new Janome. I did that because the Janome dealer claimed that even tho the machine is meant for quilters - it isn't powerful enough to actually quilt a quilt. Huh!!!! The Brother is far superior and Brother customer service is also far superior. One week with the Brother and there was a tension problem. The dealer fixed it but reported it to Brother. Brother INSISTED I take a new machine even tho the problem had been solved.
Interesting. I tried a Brother QC1000 when I was last moaning at the dealer about the Janome, and I certainly managed to do some quite respectable FMQ on it. Really the only reason I haven't looked more closely at Brother machines yet is that there doesn't seem to be the same info - forums etc - available about them to give me an impression of their ease of use, reliablity etc.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana
I too, am a very happy Janome owner. I have two 6600's that I free motion on with the blue dot and never a problem. I also have a 4900,9000,3160 (for class) and a 350E. Never had a problem with any of them. The 6600 is a workhorse. LOVE this machine as you can tell...have two of them. Keep one at the cabin and one at home...too heavy to lug around. I would not trade the 6600, not even for the new 7700.
D in TX
You lucky Lady Di! I read such good things about the 6600 - but some of them still seem to have this Janome FMQ tension issue. If they didn't, I'd have bought one by now.
What do you set your tension at when you use your 6600?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Somerset Val
Originally Posted by nantucketsue
Interesting thread. I recently straight stitch quilted a baby quilt using my walking foot on the 4900QC but noticed many of the stitches were very uneven going from normal size to tiny. I thought maybe it was because I used a cotton flannel backing although the walking foot is supposed to eliminate this problem. There were no puckers on the back which I had hand basted,. I was considering whether to purchase the blue bobbin for FMQ, but I don't think I will bother. I also think Janome Customer Service in UK is very unhelpful. I love my machine for general sewing and piecing, but as a quilting machine it does not seem to live up to its name.
I'm sorry you are having such problems. All I can say is that I have found Janome Customer Service UK very helpful. I have the blue bobbin case which works perfectly. I also use a quilting machine needle which seems to make a big difference. I've read that either this or a top stitch needle are the best to use but not a universal needle.
Val - what's your tension set on when you're using the blue dot case?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:34 AM

quote=k3n]I deleted my earlier post but I just have to say that while I'm sorry some of you have issues, I have a 6600 on which I FMQ both with the supplied red dot case and hopping FMQ foot and the blue dot case and adjustable foot with NEVER a problem!!! I use my machine up to 8 hours a day and it has never let me down. So I am guessing that you few are unfortunate enough to have been supplied with faulty machines OR it is operator error or you are using sub standard supplies. I am a bit fed up with reading that this is an inherent Janome fault, I and many others use their machines with no problems at all.[/quote] :cry:[/quote]

k3n - I know lots of Janome users are very happy, which is why I haven't yet given up on thoughts of a 6600. I WANT to like it! But I'm afraid there's no denying that at least a proportion of Janome machines DO have tension issues that are not operator error - as I said previously, I've tried several other machines in order to make sure it's not me who's at fault. And it's interesting that others have responded to this thread with similar comments. Even my dealer now admits there's an issue. If there isn't a problem, why did Janome bring out the blue dot case? As far as I'm aware, no other manufacturer has felt the need to do this.
I really envy those of you who have Janome machines that work as they should, and I'm doing everything I can to make mine be one of them - it's a superb machine for piecing, obviously basically a beautiful piece of engineering, and I'm very reluctant to abandon Janome, which is why I'm persevering in trying to find a way forward. Please understand that the cost of a 6600 would be a major outlay for me - as was the 4800. When I bought that, I didn't expect to have to buy another one so soon. I HAVE to have a machine that I can trust to do what it claims to do, and mine never has.
Perhaps you could tell me where you set the tension on your 6600 when doing FMQ with either the red or blue cases?
Old 04-27-2011, 09:40 AM

My Janome Gem was making loops on the bottom and a lady at the LQS noticed a very small burr on the plate where the needle goes down. Probably from when I broke a needle a few weeks prior. It worked fine until the feed dog was lowered. I do also agree that the tension is very sensitive in general.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:18 AM

I have never answered before but I just finished FMQ a baby quilt this morning on my 6000 which I love. I used the red bobbin case, tension is 5 1/2 quilting needle,no feed dogs and 2 different threads in the machine. It is great I would definately find a dealer or reliable repair person to help you.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...on-filler.html - I have been following and learning from Leah Day who has a 7700 - she keeps her dog feeds up when FMQ'ing. It works...and looks great. I have made several this way.
Great site Carol thank you for sharing! :thumbup:
Old 04-27-2011, 11:05 AM

I have 2 Janomes and FMQ on them all the time. No problems. I have had to change the bobbin tension. I like to use Bottom Line in the bobbin. That is very fine, so, of course I had to tweek the bobbin tension. I'm not afraid of doing that. The old, "Don't EVER change the bobbin tension", was from the SMG who didn't want to have to deal with it. Not only that, but back then, we only had one kind of thread, usually Coat and Clark. Think of all the different thread out there now. Yes, we do have to help our machines know the difference sometimes. If you use to completely opposite colors in top and bottom - I don't think that there is a machine out there that can stitch and not have the bottom show through to the top.
Just keep trying different things and don't give up on your Janomes. I love mine.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
Originally Posted by Somerset Val
Originally Posted by nantucketsue
Interesting thread. I recently straight stitch quilted a baby quilt using my walking foot on the 4900QC but noticed many of the stitches were very uneven going from normal size to tiny. I thought maybe it was because I used a cotton flannel backing although the walking foot is supposed to eliminate this problem. There were no puckers on the back which I had hand basted,. I was considering whether to purchase the blue bobbin for FMQ, but I don't think I will bother. I also think Janome Customer Service in UK is very unhelpful. I love my machine for general sewing and piecing, but as a quilting machine it does not seem to live up to its name.
I'm sorry you are having such problems. All I can say is that I have found Janome Customer Service UK very helpful. I have the blue bobbin case which works perfectly. I also use a quilting machine needle which seems to make a big difference. I've read that either this or a top stitch needle are the best to use but not a universal needle.
Val - what's your tension set on when you're using the blue dot case?
I turn the pressure control down to 6 and have the tension 5-7, depending on what thread I'm using. I set the speed to half way which seems to eliminate thread breaks. It means you can put your pedal to the floor and still move the fabric at a good speed.
Why don't you ring Stockport? Ask to speak to Mrs Maureen Brown and tell her I (Valerie Cave) told you to ask for her! She's not in the office every day, now so she may have to ring you back at another time. She's fantastic - tell her I said so!
Old 04-27-2011, 01:01 PM

Are you sure your uneven stitches weren't caused by 'drag'? This has happened to me on a quilt but it was my own fault because I was letting the quilt sit on my lap as I was stitching and the weight of it was causing it not to feed through smoothly. Even a walking foot can't cope with that!