Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Very Very Loopy on the bottom side of fabric >

Very Very Loopy on the bottom side of fabric

Very Very Loopy on the bottom side of fabric

Old 05-14-2011, 04:33 PM

I have had the same problem with mine and all I can say is keep playing with the bottom tenstion until it works, I go back and forth on the tenstion until it stiches right again.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:46 PM

Hi, I had the same problem. I put the bobbin back in and 301 started sewing fine. Good Luck
Old 05-14-2011, 04:59 PM

Check your spool of thread to make sure there isn't a slit on the ends where the thread is getting caught sometimes that can happen and throw things off. Also humidity can play a role with thread, the last couple of days mine would act up and our humidity was 90% or higher. It will make the thread swell. Hope you find the problem.

Good Luck

Suzy
Old 05-14-2011, 06:33 PM

If the thread is loopy on the underneath it is generally your top tension. Since you have already re-threaded your machine I would try adjusting your upper tension. I was told to NEVER adjust your bobbin tension. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:26 PM

I was having the same problem. Cleand machine 2 days in a row, and the bobin case,,,well I took bobin case out again and inside 1 of the slites in the case was a big gob of lint,,maybe recheck and look really close to that....
Old 05-14-2011, 07:36 PM

when it messes up on the bottom it is your upper threading is wrong check
Old 05-14-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Debbie B
Well, after rethreading the bobbin & the needle several times, cleaning the bobbin case, changing the needle...I'm doing a happy dance! I took the advise of running thread (I did the dollar bill, too...just in case) and then started changing the tension dial a little bit at a time & Woo-hoo, I'm back in business! So, tomorrow I'm going to finish the first baby quilt & baste the quilt sandwich for the next one. Thank you to all who gave me great advice. I've fallen in love with this little green 15-125 for all my FMQ and didn't want anything bad to be happening to it. So, thank you, thank you thank you!
Just a little tip. Always....when the looping is on the bottom. The problem is comming from the top. If it was a bobbin tension problem the looping would be on the top of the fabric. So when this happens again.....Raise the pressure foot, rethread, lower the pressure foot, pull on the thread through the needle. It shouldn't slide through, it sould tug on the needle. Wala great stitch again.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:16 AM

I've been FMQ with an old (1953) Singer 15-125. It's been wonderful until the last couple of days. I'm making a couple baby quilts. When I FMQ the top stitch looks OK, but the bottom side has big loops & looks a tangled mess. I've rethreaded both top & the bobbin (more than a couple of times) and I looked to see if the bobbin was dusty, but it was clean. The tension is at 4 and I've increased it to 6, but that didn't do any good either. One baby quilt is basted all together and I did a large meandering stipple throughout the body & the machine did just fine. The next day I wanted to do hooked feathers on the border & it does this loopy mess. Yesterday I worked for 2 - 3 hours trying to figure it out & couldn't...what am I doing wrong?
Look for a clot of thread dust somewhere.... loosten the tension and pull a piece of yarn through the thread system to try to pick it up. Take the bobbin holder out, and the plate off, and see if there are thread dust clots down in the feed dogs or in the springs.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:44 AM

I did buy new thread...Coats Cotton. I used the first spool with no problems, but the second one is where I'm having problems...hmmmm? And I'll go back into my sewing room & make sure that I have threaded it correctly. Thanks.

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
There is somethign off on your tension top or bottom. Did you change thread brand? Have you by any chance missed one of the tesioning loops? Did you drop the bobbin on the floor, that will cause extra drag? It can be so many tensioning reasons. With out seeing it I cant tell you.
Please before doing anything else check the thread again. By that I mean change to a different color or another brand. Lately the coats brand has been giving me and others fits. They must be doing something differently with thread. If you compare older thread to newer coats you will see what I mean.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:41 PM

I am told by my aunt who is a brother and bablyloc dealer, that if there is a problem under your fabric then re-thread the upper thread. If there is a problem on the topside of your fabric, then re-thread the bobbin.These are only first steps to try.