Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • cameras at stop lights...is Big Brother watching you >
  • cameras at stop lights...is Big Brother watching you

• cameras at stop lights...is Big Brother watching you

Old 05-18-2011, 09:34 AM

What's really funny is if people would obey the traffic signs/stop lights and drive the speed limit there probably would't be a need for the cameras. I work for a car rental company and drive the speed limit while others going the same place will speed and they only end up getting there a couple of minutes before me which I find funny.
    Old 05-18-2011, 09:59 AM

oh yes, we do have them here in CA. my husband was sent a ticket for supposedly running a red light, not true, he did arolling stop (like it makes a difference?). we went to Oakland & on our way home, that's when it happened. from then on, he had been avoiding that intersection to the point of going around the city.
    Old 05-18-2011, 10:00 AM

We have them here in KC area many have fought them and won
    Old 05-18-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    I haven't seen them up here, I do know they are on the Thruway though for the EZPass lanes. The EZPass ones we have had to fight because the camara doesn't always get a clear shot of the plate so they use a computer and send the ticket to every plate number that may resemble what the camara could capture! We had a relative that worked for the NYS Thruway authority at the tiem that told us that! She said you would also be surprised how many people who get those notices just pay the fine because they think you can't fight it if you can't absolutely prove you weren't in the area on that particular date/time. With us it was easy because it was a week day and the exit lane was down near the city.

To go just a little over the stop line is not right though. What if the light suddenly turns yellow on you? I know there are plenty of times I have gone just a little over the painted line on the ground when stopping for a light. And a light changing to yellow I have definitely gone over the stop line. If you stop you stop and should not be ticketed, only if you run it.

Heck you can easily go over that line when you have plenty of time to stop, it is hard to tell where it is when it gets out of your field of vision which is still about 5 ft in front of your car. I think it is another ploy to generate revenue. I read a recent news story on Florida jurisdictions and the official in Florida (sorry can't remember the town) one of his cheif complaints was that revenue from speeding tickets was down due to the economy because when someone is out of work they can't pay the fines! Since when is it about revenues? I thought it was about safety! I am not defending speeders, but please how many of us have been traveling along and were speeding without realizing it? Especially when you enter an area where the speed limit changes and you either didn't notice the sign or just plain didn't realize you were going a little fast.
    What we've found in Texas is that in some cities the cameras have decreased fine revenue. Once the cameras were in place, fewer people ran lights. When police officers caught red light runners, there were more fines. Reduction in fine revenue was an unintended result of installing the cameras.

Having the cameras has also decreased the number of injury accidents, which was the intended result.

froggyintexas
    Old 05-18-2011, 11:06 AM

Sad that we now have the need for cameras to *help* prevent cars running stop lights. People don't drive like they used to, darn it. I'm sure it is saving many accidents and deaths. It's *spooky* out there on the road in Northern California.
    Old 05-18-2011, 11:09 AM

I know some of the major city's in Oregon have stop light cameras and make good use of them. Where I live no, we're still to small. However there is one at a major intersection in the neighboring town that has gotten my son. He got notice 2 years after his license had been suspended. He's had the same adress at the DMV since he got his licence at 17 but they couldn't find him to send him that ticket. Boy did it cost him. I avoid that light when there if I can. I wouldn't say impossible to fight but hard. My sons bummer was barely on the line and it is stuppose to be tires over a certain point, his were'nt and it went off. Judge didn't excuse the ticket but he did reduce it and removed all the intrest from the unpaid fines. There have been a lot of issues with that light, but it did have the intended affect, less accidents at that intersection.
    Old 05-18-2011, 11:45 AM

In central Arkansas we only have a rear license plate and no cameras that I know of. A lot of the drivers here seem to think the yellow light means "hurry up!" and it seems that even though my light may turn green, there are still some drivers that will run the red light. You really have to drive defensively here. I almost wish we did have the cameras!
    Old 05-18-2011, 01:15 PM

I am in Ohio. We have them here, but they are trying to outlaw them. I got a ticket in the mail once with all these pics of my car going through a light. I was worried that hubs would be mad. When I checked the date on the ticket, I realized it was when hubs was driving my car! :)
    Old 05-18-2011, 01:20 PM

That's exactly how I feel. If you are not doing it, who cares. :roll: :-P
    Old 05-18-2011, 01:29 PM

We have them at major intersections here in this town. Does discourage running red lights but some idiots still do it!