Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Gale, Gayle, Gail  never have I seen... >

Gale, Gayle, Gail never have I seen...

Gale, Gayle, Gail never have I seen...

Old 06-05-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by OHSue
Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
Try being a Jennifer born in the 80's. :) I've always liked my mom's name though - Charmaine.

And I do have an Aunt Gail
I am a nurse and used to work with newborns in the 80's, you are sooo right. April was big then, too. I remember we had 4 April's in the nursery at once, three April Dawn and one April Rose. I asked each mom how she came up with the name and she said she liked it cause it was unusual.

Have never met a kid with my son's name, Sawyer, but once heard someone yelling at their kid named Sawyer at an amusement park.
In 13 years of pediatric nursing I never took care of a kid with my name... Susan (or Sue or Suzy, etc)
As a teacher I saw many trends of names come and go, but the most memorable year was the one when we had so many Gingers and Pamelas. The names began changing from the regular sweet names and then all of a sudden we had names like Woodrow Wilson B., Jacqueline Bouviar D., Cassius Clay B., Crystal Gail. And of course, we had a Kawasaki. Then there were Precious, Passion, Pleasure, and I don't remember the others, but there were six sisters.
Then the names changed to names with apostrophies, etc. Reading the morning roll in the morning was like speaking a foreign language. One day, a co-worker said to me, "What has happened to sweet names like Jack, Sue, Mary, Jim, etc.?"

Today I've noticed that the tides are changing. I've noticed names like Grace, Emma, Annie, Robert,etc.are making a come-back. So I'm happy that I'm a Gail Marie.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:42 PM

I'm Gail.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:36 PM

My given name is Gail, went all way through school with a fellow named Gail, too. In our very small town, I know three others with the name, and probably there are more. By, the way, my sister is named Gladys!! piecefully, the old one
Old 06-07-2011, 04:10 PM

bumping up to try to find more Gales, Gails, Gayles or Gaels...
Old 06-07-2011, 05:06 PM

My best friend is a Gale.............she thought she was the only one spelled that way. Everyone tells her it is for a boy!
I'll tell her she's not alone. however she is not a quilter....I love her in spite of that!! :roll:
Old 06-08-2011, 11:21 AM

I know there are several others we haven't heard from yet..
Old 06-09-2011, 02:52 AM

Well, I'm not a Gail, but my husband is and it is spelled Gail. I asked his mother why she spelled it that way and not Gale or Gayle. She never answered me, so I just figured it was none of my business. His middle name is Allen, don't know why he don't use that. People who don't know him think he is my 'significant' other. LOL
Old 06-09-2011, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by kuntryquilter
Well, I'm not a Gail, but my husband is and it is spelled Gail. I asked his mother why she spelled it that way and not Gale or Gayle. She never answered me, so I just figured it was none of my business. His middle name is Allen, don't know why he don't use that. People who don't know him think he is my 'significant' other. LOL
I love this one. What a surprise when they see you together! As far as I'm concerned, it's not the spelling of the name, but the prestige the person gives to the name. Your Gail will always be your Gail. And I will always be myself. I've known men (and I mean real men) whose name was Beverly and Rosalie. Who can even imagine what their parents were thinking when they chose those names for their boys?!

I am enjoying this thread sooo much.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:55 AM

!am a Diana Gail
Old 06-09-2011, 08:30 AM

I have an uncle named Carroll. But you can bet we didn't call him that, we called him Buddy.