Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I knew this might happen. >

I knew this might happen.

I knew this might happen.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
I started breaking needles on the walking foot, but my Viking Rose still works. I think I just wore my walking foot out after 15 yrs. of use, so I replaced it. I always look for the small broke off piece when the needle breaks to make sure it does not get inside my machine.

I'm big on calling manufacturer's help 800 numbers. Have you tried that?
I finally gave up on my automatic threaders--I have them on 2 machines and both are out of adjustment and I can't figure out what to do. Once I was introduced to Superior's TopStitch needles, I quit trying to use the threader. These top stitch needles have a longer eye and thus are easier to thread. I use them for everything I do. But back to the threaders--I bought a new one and hadn't had it two weeks before I messed it up. that was when I decided they didn't work for me.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
I started breaking needles on the walking foot, but my Viking Rose still works. I think I just wore my walking foot out after 15 yrs. of use, so I replaced it. I always look for the small broke off piece when the needle breaks to make sure it does not get inside my machine.

I'm big on calling manufacturer's help 800 numbers. Have you tried that?
I finally gave up on my automatic threaders--I have them on 2 machines and both are out of adjustment and I can't figure out what to do. Once I was introduced to Superior's TopStitch needles, I quit trying to use the threader. These top stitch needles have a longer eye and thus are easier to thread. I use them for everything I do. But back to the threaders--I bought a new one and hadn't had it two weeks before I messed it up. that was when I decided they didn't work for me.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:29 AM

You knocked the time off it needs professional help. I did this to my Bernia they fixed it and I now use sticky notes to remind me what foot is on the machine and what needle is in and when I put the needle in the machine. Good luck. Luann
Old 06-07-2011, 10:32 AM

Good heavens! I do this all of the time on my Bernina & just change the needle & go. This is such an easy thing for us to do Brother really needs to make this right by you.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:34 AM

I have an NX400 Pacesetter and the only thing I DO NOT like about the machine is that is automatically defaults to left needle position when you turn it on. My solution is to remove the foot when done sewing so I have to THINK when I put the foot on. This has come from breaking many needles.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Linda71
I have a new Brother NX 2000. I love it. I programed my machine to start in the middle position. Check your manual, maybe you can change yours. Linda
My Janome automatically sets itself to the middle position when I turn it on. Did you try turning it off and then back on? I'm sure you did, but I just thought I'd ask. I'm so sorry you're having such a big disappointment with your new machine. What a bummer.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:54 AM

Yes I have had this happen to me because I let my speed demon sis-in-law use my expensive machine and she did that same thing
taught me a lesson with this machine it ended up costing me $500 to get it repaired I have learnt my lesson never to let anyone I do mean anyone use this machine ever again So to be a very nice person I purchased me a brother much very much cheaper to loan out when someone wants to borrow my machine
I'll pay the $200 to replace that one cause God only knows I sure cannot afford to spend $6000 to replace my expensive machine
Old 06-07-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
If you only bought the machine on Mother's Day it should still be under warranty so bring it back to where you bought it and they should be able to fix it without charge. Just they them that the needle broke and you can get it to sew again because that's what really happened.
That's what I was thinking, why wouldn't it be covered by the warranty. Like she said, just tell them the needle broke, and it won't sew. No need to go into details.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:44 PM

I really hope you can get your machine fixed without too much cost. If you do, the following might help you out when you begin to sew again.
Does your machine have the computerized stiches? I have a Brother CS6000i, and when I turn it on, it automatically sets the needle to the left (00 on the computer screen). To center it, I put it at 01.

However,when piecing I use the number 37 (the picture shows a stitch line to the right with a small P [for piecing]next to it). If you line your fabric up with the edge right under the right side of your J foot, you will have a perfect scant quarter inch.

My "beginning quilt class" instructor helped me figure this out. She also taught us to use "mole skin" strips to lay on your machine next to the foot to get your scant quarter inch, so on my machine I just laid it right next to the foot, and a little toward you so that you have a guide to line up your fabric as it goes to the needle. I used this method for a long time until I was comfortable just sewing without it.

Mole skin (or foot pads) can be found by the Dr. Scholl's foot pads in stores, and it comes in 4-1/4" by 3-1/4" pieces that have a sticky side. It's about 1/4" thick. You can use your rotary cutter to cut a tiny strip, (about 1/4" wide and 1-1/2" long), take the backing off and just lay it down on your 1/4 or scant 1/4" measurement. You can guide your fabric right through and have perfect seams. It can be taken off and reused over and over, and once you wear it out, just cut yourself a new piece.

I hope this makes sense! Good luck!
Old 06-07-2011, 02:07 PM

I e-mailed the Brother Company when I first got mine and asked why the default position was left and not center. I had broken a couple needles also. They really did not give me a good answer but I notice that other makes also have left as the default. As I said earlier, it was really simple to change the default. Check your manual. Good luck.