Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Altered Quilt Top >
  • Altered Quilt Top

• Altered Quilt Top

Old 07-14-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    In my opinion she should have checked with you first. Even if it was her understanding that this is what you agreed to, double check before doing something that can't be reversed.
    Totally agree with this. She should not have cut YOUR quilt w/o your permission. That would tick me off to no end!
    Old 07-14-2011, 04:55 AM

First, my LAer pieces backings for customers all the time. She charges a small fee. You did nothing wrong expecting her to piece your back. Second, I would be beyond ticked off. Not only would I not pay her, I would demand that she refund ME for my materials and time, since she ruined MY quilt!
    Old 07-14-2011, 05:10 AM

You mean she did this without consulting you first?? This is wrong on so many levels. You have every right to be upset. I'm interested to see what some of our LA quilters have to say about this.
    Old 07-14-2011, 05:12 AM

I agree that the LAer should have called you but... I would never have accepted a sheet for a backing and two sheets would have been way too much. In other words, you expected her to take two sheets, cut off the hemming, sew the two together, cut it down to size, launder to remove all that stinky sizing and then press the whole mess. While a sheet seems like a good backing option because it is one big piece of fabric, it is not appropriate fabric for quilting. The thread count is usually too high and makes it difficult to quilt through. It was unforgivable for her to cut your top but also unforgivable for you to expect her to make your back for you. Bad situation, no good solutions. I think she needs a new customer and you need a new LAer.
    Old 07-14-2011, 05:23 AM

oh no i wouldnt use her again. she should have called u.
    Old 07-14-2011, 05:25 AM

I would be so sick I would throw up. She should not have charged you full price. What type of quilter is she if she doesn't have the sense to know NOT TO CUT A QUILT TO FIT ONE SHEET. She can't be very experienced. I would let her know she owes me a free quilting.
    Old 07-14-2011, 05:41 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by cmor7
    I agree that the LAer should have called you but... I would never have accepted a sheet for a backing and two sheets would have been way too much. In other words, you expected her to take two sheets, cut off the hemming, sew the two together, cut it down to size, launder to remove all that stinky sizing and then press the whole mess. While a sheet seems like a good backing option because it is one big piece of fabric, it is not appropriate fabric for quilting. The thread count is usually too high and makes it difficult to quilt through. It was unforgivable for her to cut your top but also unforgivable for you to expect her to make your back for you. Bad situation, no good solutions. I think she needs a new customer and you need a new LAer.
    There should be NO "BUT" involved w/this at all.
    1 - EVEN if a sheet is not the best thing to use the LAer ACCEPTED it (2 of them).
    2 - She was "employed" by the top owner to do what the owner was paying for. If she did not want to or could not do that, she should have told the owner!!
    3 - The LAer had NO right to cut, change, alter the top without 1st getting owners permission.

Perhaps there was mis-understandings on both sides, however as a professional, BEING PAID, the LAer should have made everything clear UP FRONT!
    The top owner had no fault in this what-so-ever!
    Old 07-14-2011, 05:48 AM

My friend took hers to a LA who cut off the scallops she had so carefully added on the edges. The quilting was beautiful but the look my friend was going for was ruined.
    Old 07-14-2011, 06:03 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy
    My friend took hers to a LA who cut off the scallops she had so carefully added on the edges. The quilting was beautiful but the look my friend was going for was ruined.
    Maybe my age is showing, but I just DO NOT understand how someone HIRED to do a job, can alter the original without at least TALKING W/THE OWNER FIRST.

What are these people thinking - do they think their "title" as a LAer gives them the right to make judgements on someone elses work without consulting them??? :(
    Old 07-14-2011, 06:09 AM

Did you tell her what the outcome of her actions was? I think you need to let her know that you are very disappointed and why. You may save some other quilter from experiencing the same outcome.