Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help for Dog Ear Infections >

Help for Dog Ear Infections

Help for Dog Ear Infections

Old 07-17-2011, 07:26 PM

This is good advice: keeping the ears dry & avoiding grain in dog food. Both of those things are notorious for causing or worsening ear infections.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:15 AM

Instead of using cotton balls, we use those cotton rounds you get at the dollar store. They are usually used for makeup. They do a better job and are easier to use.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:47 PM

With all this great advise i am sure we are on our way to curing his troubles!! I have started the water/vinegar cleaning and DH is picking up the non-grain dog food. It is SO nice to have so many friends to count on for great advise, i should have asked you guys WEEKS ago...lol Thanks again and i will keep you updated!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-18-2011, 04:55 PM

I mixed up a batch of the Gentian violet, alcohol and boric acid powder for my cocker. It works well -- but that Gentian violet stains like crazy. My white carpet can attest to that -- with purple smudges here and there! Be sure to wipe the excess off really, really well.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by blondeslave
Yes, Gentian violet, alcohol and boric acid powder.
or
witch hazel, boric acid and gentian violet
n.b. gentian violet stains
Old 07-22-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by SuziC
I have a 160 lb Newfie that has had an ear infection in one ear for months now. After 3 trips to the Vet at 45.00 ea and over 350.00 in Rx antibiotics, it is doing nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions on other treatments for this? We are running out of funds to keep taking him back there.
My two Beagles had one ear infection after another. Over and over again I would take them to the vet, who would give me meds that they fought me when I tried to give it to them. During one brief period when they both were without ear infections, my DH and I went on a short vacation. I told the kennel owner about the ear infections and she said feed them a large tablespoon of yogurt with every meal. That was four years ago and Cosmo and Kato have been free of ear infections since then. And they love when I give them flavored yogurt...although they gobble up plain yogurt also. Belles
Old 07-26-2011, 08:00 PM

Another thing I used to do with our springer spaniel was to shave the underside of her ears and the area that the ears covered when flopped down. It helped somewhat with the air circulation and quicker drying. Once the infection was healed I would regularly squirt a mixture of equal parts rubbing alcohol/white vinegar/water into the ears and "sqwirch" it around so it would reach way down into the canal (which is L-shaped and long) to make a hostile environment for yeasts and bacteria.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:05 AM

I have a Shih Tzu who used to suffer from chronic infections of the ears. We took him to the vet over and over and was given one antibiotic after another, many creams, ointments and solutions etc...I have also tried MANY of the over the counter things and nothing worked. I came across a product that I buy on Amazon.com (i get it there because its cheaper) its called Zymox with hydrocortizone, its clear, no smell and none staining. This stuff is a AMAZING! I used it once a day for 7 days and it took care of it! Its made for bacterial, yeast and fungal infections. You can also get it without the hydrocortizone.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:35 AM

Thanks Leah!
Old 09-23-2011, 04:43 AM

Hi SuziC...
VERY important....Use Grain-free food...any brand, but honestly, it is the solution. Dogs weren't meant to graze...we can leave that to the cows!
Good luck and update us on the progress..
Gloryb