Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on a shoe-string budget >

Quilting on a shoe-string budget

Quilting on a shoe-string budget

Old 07-25-2011, 01:00 PM

If you have an army surplus store in your area, you can find heavy army blankets for as little as 5 dollars. That will take care of batting for you. You may have to tie the quilts at first, but it will enable you to make quilts for your pleasure. Happy Hunting!
Old 07-25-2011, 01:38 PM

All such good information. Check the weave of fabric you buy, if it too looselyy woven, not a good fabric for a quilt.

Happy quilting.

Helen
Old 07-25-2011, 01:51 PM

I get my fabric from all over, including yard sales, thrift stores, Joann's red dot clearance, LQS's clearance racks, recycled men's shirts, and even estate sales.

About 10 days ago I added 345 yards of quilt store quality fabric to my stash at about 50 cents/yard...at an estate auction.

It's out there, you just need to keep your eyes open...
Old 07-25-2011, 02:25 PM

Recycling used clothing is always great. HYou could also ask freinds, neighbors and relatives to save their now unwanted old clothing for you and have an array of fabrics to do your project.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:25 PM

You are blessed with loving friends; you must be a good friend. God bless you.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:15 PM

I've used cotton thermal blankets (that had a hole in it) for the batting. That quilt had the most wonderful drape of any quilt I have made. I also have used fabric of any kind, old sheets, clothes for strip quilts or foundation blocks. When I made watercolor quilts I couldn't find many floral prints and used cotton blouses, etc. from our women's shelter. I have also bought wool skirts for wool applique, and penny rugs.

Recently when working on an applique I found I didn't like the flowers drawn on the back side. I ended up putting it on used dryer sheets, and plan on putting on the quilt, after I cut close to the work, I will whip it down so that the fine dryer sheet won't show. (I hope!)

Our ancestors made quilts because they were frugal. Most quilts were fabrics that the kids had grown out of,(or they had torn, etc.) and there were some pieces left, that could be used. {Early settlers had to spin cotton, then weave it into fabric. Can you imagine with the labor that was how very frugal they were with fabric?} Many times those fabrics were looked at by family members who remembered the person wearing the shirt, or dress, long after they were gone. Like a patched scrapbook of memories.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:19 PM

I remember my mom maing quilts, if it wasn't for a present for someone, she never bought "material" as she called it, she used old clothing and since she sewed all of us girls' dresses, she always had scraps left over. Batting was usually old blankets. I learned to piece using scrapes from her sewing basket. Thrift stores, yard sales are a great source of cheap, but good quality cotten.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:12 PM

[quote=spartan quilter]I find that doing SID for the quilting saves me a lot of money. I did invest in a walking foot, so it is a lot easier now. Just another suggestion.[/quote
SID ????
Old 07-25-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by spartan quilter
I find that doing SID for the quilting saves me a lot of money. I did invest in a walking foot, so it is a lot easier now. Just another suggestion.
SID???? what is that?

Ohhh, stitch in the ditch :)
Old 07-25-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by ConfederateQuilter
My question is about how to quilt on a shoe-string budget.

Does anyone have any ideas? What about recycling

material from used clothing?
If you find a rummage sale with a $5 bag deal, you can buy a bunch of sheets, and covers and maybe even a sturdy blanket to use for batting.

My problem is I buy it and look at it!