Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Batik backing for batik quilt top? >
  • Batik backing for batik quilt top?

• Batik backing for batik quilt top?

Old 08-01-2011, 03:28 AM

You can even use sheets for the backing. Go for it!!
    Old 08-01-2011, 04:15 AM

You can mix that's fine. My only suggestion since you are mixing fabrics is to wash them; if you didn't do it before you made the quilt do it before you put the backing on. If there is any shrinkage you want it to happen before you quilt it
    Old 08-01-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by L8quilter
    Wow! I'm in trouble. I am making a baby pinwheel for my DIL's 1st baby. I mixed batiks and other cottons and then have a batik for the backing. I think I hear the quilt police. Where can I hide? I haven't been quilting long and had never heard any of those batik "rules". I hope the quilt isn't all messed up. I did prewash and even used vinegar to set the colors. I guess it will be a lesson learned.
    you are not in trouble. you have prewashed both fabrics ahead of time so the shrinkage is out of the cotton as well. You can mix both cottons and batiks and they look fabulous. I have used all different fabrics for the backing, not sheets or muslin though not good in my opinion, even minkie which quilts nice. It all depends on what you want to quilt thru. The nice thing is the quilt will wear better because of the batik fabric in it. You are going good.
    Old 08-01-2011, 12:59 PM
    Banned

It probably has already been suggested but.....
    If you calculate the amount of fabric you need of the wide backing vs the amount for 44" you might find the wide is less expensive. I recently got some wide backing for $10 per yd. It took 3.5 yds for my quilt. It cost me $35.
    If I had bought 44" it woud have taken 10.5 yds
    and even at 8$ per yd that would have been over $80.
    Old 08-01-2011, 01:02 PM

As a futher suggestion on the 108" backing. Any longarmer loves one pieced backs. I do longarm work and when I use the 108" wide back, it quilts so nice. Pieced backs work well also, but I prefer the 108" backs. Do I buy them, not always because I still have to watch prices as well. There is a local quilt shop that takes Joann Fabric coupons so can pickup yardage at 40 to 50% off. Helps out. I know, our quilt tops sit there because we need to afford the rest of the materials to finish it. No wonder we get so many tops done.
    Old 08-02-2011, 05:58 PM

The batik quilt I am planning to make uses the 2 1/2 strips, and I bought a couple of Bali Pops packs. Pre-washing them may not be the best idea. But your suggestion to wash the finished pieced quilt top before it's quilted, and wash whatever quilt backing I use, is probably a very good plan. Thanks!

Originally Posted by romanojg
    You can mix that's fine. My only suggestion since you are mixing fabrics is to wash them; if you didn't do it before you made the quilt do it before you put the backing on. If there is any shrinkage you want it to happen before you quilt it
    Old 08-02-2011, 06:01 PM

I'm with you. I think the wide backings are really a nice cost savings. I'm just used to paying $12 - $14 for wide backing. The $17.99 a yard for Batik backing made me pause.

Originally Posted by Holice
    It probably has already been suggested but.....
    If you calculate the amount of fabric you need of the wide backing vs the amount for 44" you might find the wide is less expensive. I recently got some wide backing for $10 per yd. It took 3.5 yds for my quilt. It cost me $35.
    If I had bought 44" it woud have taken 10.5 yds
    and even at 8$ per yd that would have been over $80.
    Old 08-02-2011, 06:05 PM

Good heavens! The batiks at my LQS are around $10 a yard you might want to shop elsewhere maybe online. I made a quilt with batiks and used a dyed cotton on the back it had shades of blue it was cheaper only $5 a yard but nice fabric.
    Old 08-02-2011, 06:07 PM

its ok to mix regular cotton a d batik on the top as long as you prewash both fabrics and use whatever you whant on the back its your quilt.
    Originally Posted by Dee Dee
    Oh! precious picture of the baby!!!

It is their 108" I think I can find some regular 108" fabric that will look good with it. I've been told to not mix Batik and regular cotton on the quilt top. Just wanted to know if there's any reason to not use regular cotton on the back.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by merrylouw
    Since it's your quilt, you can do anything you're happy with! No quilt police here.

If you really want batik for the backing, there are a lot of online shops that sell it for a lot less than your LQS. Or is that price for 108" wide fabric?
    Old 08-03-2011, 03:23 AM

I haven't read thru all the comments, (apologize for that now) but just wanted to mention remember with 108" fabric your're getting 3 yards(108") in width for one yard of fabric so for 3 yard by 3 yard piece (108" x 108") and about 51.00 you are getting a backing you would almost pay that or more for enough 44" to make the backing.

I have mixed both fabrics and have had no problem with doing so. I did prewash all the fabrics though.
    Judy