Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm nervous about washing this deep red fabric again--now it's a quilt back. >

I'm nervous about washing this deep red fabric again--now it's a quilt back.

I'm nervous about washing this deep red fabric again--now it's a quilt back.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Momsmurf
Originally Posted by Prism99
I agree with washing it with Synthrapol and lots of color catchers. This combo should catch any remaining loose dye particles so they can't settle into other fabrics.

Next time wash a bleeder fabric like that in Retayne! Retayne permanently sets color. A few fabrics need 2 washings in Retayne. You never want to use Retayne on a finished quilt such as yours, though, as it will permanently set any unwanted bleeds into other fabrics. At this point your best choice is Synthrapol and *lots* of color catchers (I'd probably use an entire box!).

This was going to be my suggestion also. I ran into this problem with a blue hand dyed backing fabric and even after washing it 3 times using vinegar and color catcher sheets I finally got some Retayne which seemed to do the trick.

I would wash it on the largest load setting you have to allow a lot of water and agitation and use the above suggestion...loads of color catcher sheets...and even a large old white towel to maybe help absorb any stray pigment....

Let us know how things turned out, please. :thumbup:
I did! Go back for the results!
:thumbup:
Old 08-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Banned

if you do a search here for retayne and synthropol you
you will find out which to use when.

If you need either, PM me...or go to my Etsy store(in my siggy line)

Good luck!
Old 08-04-2011, 05:28 PM

The color catcher sheets are wonderful.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:43 PM

I prewash all my fabrics in hot water, but I need to remember to check the reds while they wash, in case they still bleed. Does one buy Retayne at the quilt shops? We only have JoAnns and a quilt shop in town.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by georgia
I used red fabric I bought from walamart to as sashing, it really bleeds too. The quilt top is done so what do I do ? Do I stil just wash the top without the backing with color catechers or will the red possibly bleed onto the lighter fabric? Any suggestions would be so appreciated. Thanks,
Georgia, go back to the beginning of this thread (look at the top right of the page and click on "Page 1" to start at the beginning). That was the original question, and lots of helpful answers have been posted.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:29 PM

Prsm99 thank you ,jaci answered question.I just was trying to understand how to stop the bleeding onto My white fabric.Sorry I was not getting this
Old 08-06-2011, 02:39 PM

Don't waste your time and money. Buy Retayne at your quilt shop, wash in hot water with the Retayne and you won't have to worry about future washings. The Retayne will set the dyes and if you use hot water then any future washing can be made at any temperature.
I own a quilt shop and this is the only recommendation I make for setting the dies in quilt fabrics.
OzarksGma
Old 08-08-2011, 06:52 AM

Thanks for all the great ideas. You ladies are so wise. I do prewash ALL fabrics tho and use colors catchers all the time, even in my home laundry.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:19 PM

Years ago we were taught to use salt as a colour setting agent.
I would like to know if this is still acceptable.
I am not in the habit of prewashing the fabric but after joining your group I have become aware that the strong colours should
be treated.
Thanks to all the Quilters that share their knowledge with others.
M.M. from Australia.(an Old girl)
Old 08-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by barnbum
It bled more than any fabric I've ever washed. I washed it twice and added three rinses and there was still a hint of tinge to the water. (I agitate by hand but use the machine.) I added white vinegar to two of the rinses and dried the fabric in the dryer.

Now the deep red fabric is a quilt back--and there's a bright yellow binding... and lots of white with blacks in the top... and I need to wash it before giving it as a gift (basting spray used).

So... do you think if I add some vinegar to the wash water, and use two color wash sheets, it'll be fine? Did drying it set the color more?

I have time to read replies because I need to sew the binding on by hand...
Karla, take two Zanax and a couple of color catchers and everything will be alright!! Remember the Zanax is for you and not the wash...... :lol:

Billy