Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Iron: pour out water after each use? >
  • Iron: pour out water after each use?

• Iron: pour out water after each use?

Old 08-09-2011, 06:03 AM

I have a Rowenta steamer and never had a problem and I use tap water in it. I also have a Rowenta iron, but I do use Distilled water in, again no problem. Both these iron/steamer are at least 10 years old. I have a Black n Decker steam iron that I use for applique messes, again no problem. I do not empty any water unless I do not plan on using them for a week or more.
    Old 08-09-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Garylester
    I have a Rowenta that my wife gave me several years ago. I think she wanted a new one. I guess it works fine. I like it. I've only used one of hers. This one leaks once in a while, not always. My wife says you're supposed to pour the water out after each use. I usually forget. I'd like to know the opinion on that from all of you here. Thanks. Gary
    I bought a new Rowenta this winter, and I still have the instruction book. It states to use only TAP water, NOT distilled...which surprised me. I guess something in the distilling process can cause issues with the water in the iron. It also says to empty the water when not in use. Probably to stop your water from collecting sediment inside. Since I paid so much money for the iron, I have been following the directions carefully and have had no problems so far. As for the leaking, be sure to hold the iron at an angle...not straight up on its back when you fill it. The water goes in much easier that way. Maybe that will stop the problem. Good luck!
    Old 08-09-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
    I always drain the water out after each use & I only used distilled water. My Rowenta is over 13 yrs. old & works just fine.
    Ditto. My Rowenta isn't that old, but I always drain it after a good day's work. Also drain the GE and the other one that I got an estate sale for $5. I've never had an iron that leaked, but know lots of people who don't drain their iron and complain constantly about leaks. Since it takes minimal effort, drain it! froggyintexas
    Old 08-09-2011, 07:03 AM

I believe the booklet that comes with Rowenta's tell you to drain before shutting it off.
    I have a Rowenta that my wife gave me several years ago. I think she wanted a new one. I guess it works fine. I like it. I've only used one of hers. This one leaks once in a while, not always. My wife says you're supposed to pour the water out after each use. I usually forget. I'd like to know the opinion on that from all of you here. Thanks. Gary
    :D
    Old 08-09-2011, 07:08 AM

I leave the water in mine. I also only use distilled water so it doesn't leave mineral buildup in the iron.
    Old 08-09-2011, 07:19 AM

My Rowenta states specifically that distilled water should NOT be used in their irons, that it can cause them to leak. Use only tap water. If you have very high mineral content use 1 iron full of distilled only on occasion. Go figure.
    Old 08-09-2011, 07:52 AM

I have an older Rowenta, an Aqua Clip, that I picked up used many years ago. It's never leaked, and I've never emptied out after each use. I do clean it per it's instructions that I had to find on the Rowenta site. I have used both tap water and distilled water in it with no problems.

Have you cleaned out the inside of your Rowenta? I think they spit sometimes just from being clogged up inside with minerals, etc.

Hope this helps,
    Old 08-09-2011, 08:19 AM

I leave water in mine all the time. I use it everyday so it seams silly to empty it ! That's my opinion and I am sticking to it!
    Old 08-09-2011, 08:32 AM

I had three Rowentas. They all leaked no matter what I did. First two were replaced. They leaked also. Third one is up on a shelf somewhere in my storage room. Bought a cheap one at Walmart and it works just fine.
    Old 08-09-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I have NEVER heard of emptying the iron after each use and I would never do it. The mechanism is hard enough to get the water IN without spilling.
    I too didnt know we were suppose to empty. I use distilled water, and buy cheaper irons as I seem to drop my iron sometimes. Now that is hard on it. lol