Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Crazy or crazed >

Crazy or crazed

Crazy or crazed

Old 08-13-2011, 06:39 AM

I have made many around the world quilts & I think they are the easiest to do. I graph & color my quilt & match the fabric with the color #. I take my graph & take the pieces & stack in order til I have one strip stacked. I # the top & go down the row til I have all the strips stacked in order. I then take & sew a diagonal thread across the top outside corner of the first square. Thsat lets me know that that is the 1st strip & add to the right of the thread. then I sew all the squares for that strip together leaving the # on the top square. I continue sewing the strips, laying them on the bed so I can see that the pattern is true. When I am done sewing the strips, I then take 2 strips & sew together. then add 1 & so on til they are all sewed together. I then snadwich & tie my quilts. I haven't attempted to quilt one of the big ones yet. I cut my #'s from old calenders & usually use 19 #'s for a large king to the floor. I use the back to come over the front & topstitch down after it is all tied. I also double sew my squares together going 1 way then the other. I do the same with each strip. sew down then back up from the bottom. I have never had a quilt come apart at the seams using this method. It can be washed a thousand times & should never come apart at the seams. I use more thread that way but also no embarrassment of having to put it back together if it comes apart. Just my way and have done ever since I started and wouldn't do it any other way.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:37 AM
mim

I do my RTW quilts in quarters -- I find it is easier to sew the strips if they are shorter. Then I only have the 2 seams for the quarters and 1 long seam to finish it all.

I hand quilt sometimes shadowing the pieces, sometimes diagonal corner to corner.

I do a 6 1/2" square swap betting on baseball teams so I get and send several hundred pieces a year. After I separate into color piles, I can plan a RTW scrappy quilt.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:07 AM

Make it the way you want and will enjoy. Go Girl!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:45 PM

Ditto, been there, done that
Old 09-17-2011, 04:46 PM

never give up, :) pray the best for your quilt, I know it will be a beauty.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:52 PM

you're being tested...
i appreciate your humor...
think i would put a design wall to use
before i "sacked" the pieces!
can't wait to see what you come up with!
Old 09-17-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter
Instead of "trip around the world" you could name it "the state the world is in today".
ROFLMAO
Old 09-18-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
you're being tested...
i appreciate your humor...
think i would put a design wall to use
before i "sacked" the pieces!
can't wait to see what you come up with!
see my avatar. I lay them out. put #'s on the 1st one, then pick them up in order and put in a little baggie. all the way thru. Sew each strip but leave the # on the top one til you start sewing them together. I have a trangle stitch across the end of the 1st one and then I take off the #'s as I stitch each row together. No mistakes. lay them out as sewn to preview what it looks like. Baby, twin, double go real fast this way. I need more room for layout if queen and king. have to go to the church for that.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

I think you should give up on quilting and become a writer. You're good at it. Or keep on quilting so you'll have even more to write about.

And did you know that even the weed whacker can be used in quilting? See John Flynn's web site. http://www.flynnquilt.com/workshop/FreeLessons/
Old 09-18-2011, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
I think you should give up on quilting and become a writer. You're good at it. Or keep on quilting so you'll have even more to write about.

And did you know that even the weed whacker can be used in quilting? See John Flynn's web site. http://www.flynnquilt.com/workshop/FreeLessons/
Thanks, I think. I guess maybe that is what makes me so good at my jobs. Attention to details and spell it out so there is no mistake, at least I try. I did favorite the John Flynn site, not because of the weed wacker idea, but the idea of how to do different piecing of the back if you are short fabric. There are some good tips there.