Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Modern Quilt Movement >

Modern Quilt Movement

Modern Quilt Movement

Old 08-18-2011, 04:34 AM

While reading all of your comments, I was thinking of the pile of old quilting magazines I have been looking though lately. Last summer I got a box, at a garage sale, of 1980-2000 quilt magazines. I find I flip through those pictures thinking I don't really like what they considered "modern". The magazines also had plenty of more traditional blocks that are still being used regularly in today's quilts. Each "era" will produce their own unique style of quilt. Someday, in the future, we will look back on today's "modern" quilts and say they were unique in their own way to that period.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:54 AM

I like most of the modern quilts. Some are really far out there though.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:56 AM

Holice, will you share your thoughts on the subject with us?
Old 08-18-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
quilting is like painting - some like Picasso and some like Thomas Kinkade. Some like both. It is a medium.
I agree with this! Everyone has their own taste and skill set. I have four children - all have different tastes in decor. My math/science son does not care for complicated decorations. Neither should I expect him to fall in love with the style in his lifetime. On the other hand, my oldest son loves cathedrals and elaborate decoration. It would drive him crazy if he lived in a Frank Lloyd Wright type of home.

The same goes with quilting. If you love the challenge of getting perfect seams and love the "traditional" blocks, then I would not expect you to be drooling over landscape or modern designs. Likewise, some quilters, like me, aren't thrilled with angles and straight lines. I really like curves and story quilts. Landscapes strongly appeal to me, but haven't made one - yet. I've done applique but don't really like doing blocks - but have done the applique in blocks. My last two applique designs are whole piece smaller projects. I'm not really into the asymmetrical types of quilting - to me it feels terribly unorganized, but to others, it is delightful to look upon.

There is room for all kinds of quilters and all kinds of designs. Quilting is appealing to more people because of the flexibility of design. It's important to know what style makes you happy. Isn't quilting an art that is to be enjoyed?

Very interesting thread.......happy quilting!!!

If you love traditional and have the skills to do accomplish them, then go for it!
Old 08-18-2011, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

I love to look at them, however, I make my quilts to cover my loved ones with love and comfort!
Old 08-18-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I love all of it traditional , and modern art quilts. I just get dissapointed that some of the major shows have chosen a predominance of modern , leaving a very small percentage for traditional. Seeing great representations from all aspects of the quilting world is what I expect in a great show.
Me, too. Went to a quilt show in Cincinnati and was disappointed. But the venders were great!
Old 08-18-2011, 05:53 AM

What some call traditional may have been "modern" in it's day (1930's, '40s, etc). What we call modern today, could become the traditional of tomorrow. And,"art" quilts are another way to describe fabric put together in a special way. I love them all.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:58 AM

I think it just adds to the do what you feel in quilting. Sometimes we have to think outside the box. I do not like some of the newer modern themes but, everything is not for everyone.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:01 AM

Variety is the spice of life. There are more quilt fabrics & styles that I dislike than those that I like. That's fine with me ... it gives me great pleasure to see the "stunners", both the ones that I think I might be able to make and those that I know will be forever beyond my capabilities. I like the fact that quilters feel comfortable to express themselves and their personal creativity.

I think quilt shows should either have a variety of quilt styles or, if not, should indicate clearly what type there will be on display.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:10 AM

It is like modern art, I just don't get it. I am really drawn to the more traditional pieced quilts. I am also in awe of art quilts that actually look like something. But saying that, Modern Quilting has it's place, it is just not my thing.