Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Xmas  Items >

Xmas Items

Xmas Items

Old 08-29-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44
Originally Posted by ploverwi2
It is not legal to make things with licensed fabrics that you are planning to sell for a profit. You can make things, but you can not sell them. My sister found this out recently where she sells things. Her things were pulled from display, because it was an infringment of licensed fabrics sold for money.
What are you saying?? Aren't all fabrics licensed?
fabric with logos of sports groups are licensed and you can not sell item made with them. I make fleece blankets, but have a person buy the fleece themselves then I would just charge for the sewing.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Wunder-Mar
It is not legal to make things with licensed fabrics that you are planning to sell for a profit. You can make things, but you can not sell them. My sister found this out recently where she sells things. Her things were pulled from display, because it was an infringment of licensed fabrics sold for money.
Actually, there is NO copyright infringement - it's called FIRST SALE DOCTRINE and the courts are upholding the crafters on this. The cotrine states that the rights of the copyright owner END at the FIRST SALE - meaning as long as you buy your licensed fabric from a licensed dealer, you can do and make and sell anything and everything you want. Disney is one of the worst, but they lose all the time in court.

This topic has been posted on and posted on and posted on, and people are still getting it wrong because of mis-information and fear campaigns.
interesting, I did notknow this. thanks for the indo.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:43 AM

[quote=Wunder-Mar]
Part 2 - copyright infringement - LICENSED ANYTHING. The license is between the designer's manufacturer and the retailer. It is never, ever involves the end consumer. THAT's the law. Also, a license must have two parties execute it - sign it - agree to it or it does not hold up in court.

Can you buy licensed fabric, makes something and sell it? Sure - and you keep all the money, legally.

Can you digitally copy a university logo onto a craft item? NOOOOOOO. But you can affix a duly licensed logo applique to something and sell it and keep all the money, legally. You can also cut out the logo from fabric and fuse it to a craft, sell it and keep all the money. The university got its royalty cut - just one - at the time you purchased the fabric from a licensed retailer. CAUTION HERE: The universities have the right to protect themselves, so you MUST affix a label to the logo craft item which states, "Made by [your name/your company name], which has no affiliation whatsoever with the University of Whatszit. Logo copyright YYYY, University of Whatzit." This tells the consumer right off that any problems or liabilities arising from the item they bought with the logo is NOT the responsibility or liability of the University - it's the crafter's. That labelling law has been in effect for such craft items since 1997.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:20 AM

Here is a link to a picture of a mug bucket.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-148579-1.htm
Old 08-29-2011, 09:29 AM

Those are so pretty, may I ask where you found the pattern. I would like to make a few for gifts. Thank u
Old 08-29-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by stitcher
Those are so pretty, may I ask where you found the pattern. I would like to make a few for gifts. Thank u
If you are talking about the mug buckets, I just used the message board search engine. There is probably a pattern somewhere on the board.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:00 AM

Table runners. They go fast and there are some great ideas on Missouri Quilt's website.
R
Old 08-29-2011, 10:43 AM

Guess I am not thinking to clearly today, I was inquiring about the tree skirts. Sorry.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:49 AM

How about thread bags with attached pincushions? OR quilted notebook or album covers? I've made some of these for my quitting friends using 1 1/2 " three ring binders with plastic see-through pocket inserts. These are great for quilt pics, patterns, notes, etc. Also a way to use up some scraps.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:37 AM

Angie what are you backing them with? I've used velvet in the past but am going to be doing a class for some friends and am curious...