Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Where were you when...9/11 memories >

Where were you when...9/11 memories

Where were you when...9/11 memories

Old 09-11-2011, 08:02 AM

I was at home with my baby daughter trying to find out where my DH was. We lived on Long Island, NY at the time and we were both paramedics but it was my day off. I could see the smoke from the Towers in the distance but no cell phones were able to connect and there was no way to contact anyone. Twelve hours later I found out he was not hurt but had been moving whatever patients they could from one of the hospitals into a nursing home facility to make room for the hundreds of injured they expected in the ER's...they never came. My neighbors that had been home all came over to my house because the cable TV signals were lost and I was the only one who had satellite. We lost one neighbor that day, and more than a few fellow workers were killed or injured. What a nightmare that I hope we all never have to live through again.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:02 AM

I don't mean to sound mystical (another person I knew felt the same) I woke up around 5 or so (west coast) and felt "not right" I shrugged it off. I think I was just getting up my boss called and told me to put on the tv. second plane, we knew no accident...while i was trying to simulate it.... hearing then about the pentagon and then Pa. I couldn't believe it. my store (craft store) stayed closed that day. my husband still had to work. I cryed..alot.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:11 AM

I was at home getting ready for work. I had the TV on in my bedroom and just couldn't believe what was happening. Then the second plane hit, and I was terrified. I worked at Intel in Folsom at the time and was afraid that we were a target as well because of the large campus. None the less, I convinced myself that was silly and went to work. Everyone was in a fog all day
Old 09-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

I was at home going through my daily routine with the T.V. on as the story broke. I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing even though I was looking right at it. Heartbroken for all those who lost loved ones.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:30 AM

I was working in my back yard flower bed when my next door neighbor called out to me to go inside and turn the TV on. Such a sad day.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:33 AM

I was teaching (high school) and when we heard the news we spent the remainder of the day watching the news on TV. Some of the students had a hard time comprehending what was actually taking place. It was a very sad day.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:01 AM

I was in St. Joe Michigan, Taking a picture of the lighthouse at the moment the first plain hit the first tower. I was with my best friend. We left three hours before on what was my first vacation without my parents. Mom called and left a message on my cell phone not to go up into Canada, like we were planning. I called her back and told her it was nice and peacful there and I wasn't comming home. That day, I drove all the way up to Luddington, it was us, and only one other car on the interstate.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:07 AM

I was also at work - after we were all sent home, I sat glued to the TV with my DS, crying & shocked from what I was seeing. Jeremiah 18 1-12
Old 09-11-2011, 09:20 AM

I was at work, as secretary for my church. I had the radio on, and heard about the first plane. I mentioned it to the pastor, because he never has a radio on in his office. When the 2nd one hit, and I told him, he said it was a terrorist attack. I could not fathom that - even when it was announced later that the towers had fallen, I just couldn't picture it. It wasn't until I got home and saw it on TV that I realized what they were saying, when they said the towers had fallen. I just couldn't wrap my mind around it...
After the 2nd plane hit, I immediately started calling members of our church that were flight attendants, pilots, and an air traffic controller in Pittsburgh. Thank God, none of the flight attendants was working that day, or the pilot. The air traffic controller said they had to evacuate the contol tower when Flight 93 flew too close.
Our church had a prayer service that evening for the community, so lots of people were there. Too bad our country didn't remember to turn to God until this, and it didn't take very long before it was just like it never happened. JMO....
Old 09-11-2011, 09:31 AM

I had just dropped my son off at school and was still sleepy enough (work nights) that I had forgotten to take the radio off the Disney channel. I was driving down the road and saw people in their cars acting weird. Some pulled over for no apparent reason and had their heads stuck out of their windows staring at the sky (we were fairly close to a major airport), and others were speeding as fast as they could. Neither normal behavior. I finally realized something had happened, and my radio was on the wrong channel. Soon as I tuned it to my local radio station I was one of the ones speeding home as fast as I could.

I remember a friend waking me up during the day (I was nodding off to CNN all day - had to go back to work that night), and she was trying to get me to donate blood. We live in the DFW area and the blood banks had put out the call. I just remember asking her what for? Both towers by this time had collapsed. What possible need could they have for all that blood? Nobody alive to need it. We had a nice little argument over that one and haven't really talked to her much since - she suddenly got really busy with other people in her life.

I found out a few days later that my cousin's husband had been in the second tower in a meeting. He lives in California, so I never even gave him a thought that day. He felt the rumble from the impact of the first plane in the first tower, and immediately thought earthquake and these buildings were probably not made with earthquakes in mind. He bolted from the meeting. Heard more than one comment on it from others in the meeting. He was the only one that survived the meeting. Virg