Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is it about the quilting bug?? >

What is it about the quilting bug??

What is it about the quilting bug??

Old 09-12-2011, 01:14 PM

I've been sewing my whole life, since I was about 8 (52 years). I never go more than a day or so without wanting to be back in the sewing room.My kids tease me and say since I learned to quilt I NEVER sew for them anymore. I tell them if they want designer sewing they have to come pull the designer away from the quilt blocks, I won't do it on my own!!!LOL....
Old 09-12-2011, 04:43 PM

I think the Quilting Bug is kind of like the Gold Fever Bug.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:47 PM

I don't think you should sell the piano. A piano gives a home something special, just by being there. I got rid of mine for financial reasons and I've always regretted it. I just wish the quilt bug had bitten me long before I was sixty!! After all, I have been sewing since I was ten!!! But now that I've been infected, I don't care if there's a cure!
Old 09-12-2011, 05:15 PM

I also had one and sold it because I didn't seem to play it much. I really regretted it because I have had times when I needed to have it and it wasn't there. I now have a borrowed one and will certainly miss it when it goes to its real mama... but i will get another one. and the "real" piano is soooooo much better than the electronic ones, even when it is not in tune..... don't sell it, you'll regret it..
Old 09-12-2011, 05:25 PM

I've ALWAYS wanted a piano since I was little. Instead my mother insisted I play another instrument...I did for a few years but just didn't like it...it was an accordian. Fast forward to meeting my hubby. His mother owned a piano and gave lessons...but never taught me...lol. I could play right hand but after we were married and lived with them for about 2 months I started with the kindergarten book and advanced to the 2nd grade book. Anyway...a couple of years after hubby's mother passed away his dad decided to move out of the big house to a 55+ condo community and I figured he wouldn't take the piano. I asked him and since he played too he said yes it was going with him. But...when he passed away we could have it. Unfortunately he passed away 6 months later. We now have the piano in our living room and I love to just sit down and play for a few minutes when I walk by it. Our grandkids love it. The oldest played the violin since she was 4...she's now 19 and in her first year of college. She never had piano lessons but one day she sat down and played I Had A Dream perfectly. I was shocked...and she said playing the violin helped her play the piano.

All of that said...DON'T sell it.

I do understand though about wanting to sew/quilt all of the time. I'm a new quilter...have sewed since I was a kid...and when I find a passion I jump in with both feet and love doing it. I have a small candle/soap/bath & body business...been doing it since 2001 and I still love it. I'm not as obsessed with it as I once was but when the fall and Christmas season is close then I get back in the mood and can't seem to do anything else but made products.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:31 PM

no it is your fabric that gets u possessed!!!!
your fabric owns u :D
Old 09-12-2011, 10:03 PM

There is no cure for the bug... That being said, I keep my piano for my children. I wish to instill in them a love for music, as well as quilting... and other fine arts!
Old 09-12-2011, 11:38 PM

I hear there is no cure for it thank goodness.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
Originally Posted by joy
Don't sell your piano... there will be a day when you would love to play a tune... believe me !!!
I agree.. it would be sad to see it go... you have such a gift!! Don't do anything hasty....music is such a stress reliever!!
As we age, I find my interests change. I can go for months doing one thing and then suddenly want to do something else. I think it's good to take some time off from quilting or other interests to replenish your thought processes.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:17 AM

I had/have a piano. Let my grand daughter borrow/have it on the condition she keeps taking lessons. I felt it was more important for her to have it and use it than for it to just be sitting at my house not being used. Most of the time I am ok with my decision but sometimes I wish I had it so I could just go sit down and play to relieve the tension of the day to day stuff. Don't sell your piano. You will one day wish you had it back.