Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is it about the quilting bug?? >

What is it about the quilting bug??

What is it about the quilting bug??

Old 09-12-2011, 09:38 AM

My mom was an organist and also loved her piano. And she made lap quilts no end. I suggest if you like music to hang on to the piano. The day will come when you are ready to make some music once again.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:58 AM

Quilting can just take over your life! :)
Old 09-12-2011, 10:24 AM

I don't think that bug ever moves out, either!
Old 09-12-2011, 11:24 AM

I think it's the government in cohoots with the fabric companies, they are spraying some sort of bio-chemical on the cottons that makes us want to buy material and sew and sew and sew. See quilters are generally the shakers and movers of the country and if you keep them busy they won't see how the nation is actually being run. Show us a quilt pattern and we are out of sight and out of mind in our sewing rooms. That's my conspiracy theory on it. I don't even watch news much anymore because my fabrics keeps me calm.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:12 PM

I would keep the piano. There are bound to be times when you will want to walk away from quilting. Having the piano would be a nice respite.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:26 PM

Oh please think again before you sell the piano!!! You may want to play it - could be one day it will bring you the comfort and joy you once enjoyed from it.

I've had mine since my parents bought it for me in 3rd grade and it has been all over the country with me. I haven't played it much over the last couple decades but I have a relationship with the instrument which I can't break. Of course, since I took up quilting this year, I think it is a bit nose-out-of-joint these days as it has to endure being covered with batting or quilt fabric, and I moved it away from the 'best' wall so I could put in a cutting/ironing table and a quilt design wall...

That said I totally agree that quilting is addictive and absorbing and short of buying fabric instead of food, it can really take over your life!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:35 PM

I had to take up quilting. I am tone deaf. Mwahahahaha!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by Montana Quilter
In the last few years I have become die-hard quilter and I love it! I had a 5 octave harp I used to play and finally sold it because I didn't really play it any more. I also used to play the piano and don't any more because every extra minute of time I have-I want to be quilting! I haven't sat down and played for a couple of years. I have been toying with the idea of selling my piano (I've been playing for 45 years) and I just walked by it and made up my mind-yes I wil sell it, I never play it because all I want to do is quilt! So what happens that quilting becomes so all consuming?? Is there a "Q" in our DNA?,do Janome, Phaff, Bernina, and Viking find out where we live and put something in the water?? Are they in cahoots with Joanns, Connecting Threads, and Fabric. com?? :?: What do you think? :-D :-D :-D
When it finds you, the bug burrows in, under the skin and hides, busily infecting you all over!
Oh my you make it sound like a Tick-I always thought the Quilt Bug looked more like a Wee Pixie hovering over my shoulder whispering sweet things about up coming sales -new patterns and inspirational tutoring and the occassional kick to get me moving
:-)
Old 09-12-2011, 12:49 PM

I played the organ for about 10 years (I'm 28) and I stopped right around when I went to college. Haven't touched it in years, but I won't get rid of it because I still might want to play. If I don't feel the urge to play in another 10 years, and my DD doesn't want to, then it'll go.. maybe. :)
Old 09-12-2011, 01:01 PM

Oh please don't sell the piano... Maybe if you choose a piece you've never mastered and keep it on the piano, you'll be inspired to sit and play more occasionally? Don't get me wrong, I definitely understand how you feel... but I think we must find balance, too... You clearly have a musical gift; I'd hate to see you so completely ignore it....