Thank yous

Old 09-15-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by mcar
The well does run dry without rain to replenish! The heart grows sad without appreciation. As life has become easier for the generations it seems that entitlement has begun to reign in the hearts of the young.
VERY well said!
Old 09-15-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Not saying "Thank you" is a lack of respect for your thoughtfulness, your kindness and your effort!

I'm with Murphy and Caroline.

To rant: I'm so tired of people excusing things like this by saying its just a sign of the times!

Sorry, sore subject!
I agree completely!!! I have gotten so tired of making an effort and spending hard earned money on my DGC with not a thank you in return, that I have quit making the effort and spending the money. The last straw was my 18 year old DGS taking the graduation check we sent and running to the bank to cash it and not calling to say thank you. The same happened a few weeks later when the next DGS graduated.
Even after I told my DDIL and DS about it and they said they would tell them to call, they didn't. Never a word from any of the five DGC who range in age from 10 to 22 for gifts even when given in person. I finally had to agree with my DH that enough is enough. We disagree that it is a sign of the times. It is just plain bad manners. We love them dearly and have still chosen to take this step.

I think that we should all handle this situation as we feel best and agree to disagree on the cause. Then at least there won't be stress about it on this board. :)
Old 09-16-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj
I'm with Murphy...... ask for the photo and start to accept that some people have no manners!

To send a thank you is not hard and in very good taste!

Hugs
For your records, make a picture before you give the gift. For some people taking a picture and mailing(even emailing) could just be too much. While a picture of the recipient with the quilt would be nice I do think it might be asking too much of most people to expect them to do that.
It's hard enough to even expect a simple 'thank you' from people these days.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
I have a very simple rule and stick to it 100%. I give a gift and they either say thank you or say nothing ... from that day onward, the ones who say nothing never again receive anything from me while those who have manners and say thank you continue to receive. Hard-hearted? Possibly. But, I'm quite satisfied with my way of doing it and will continue to be so. My family knows my thoughts and feelings but get upset when the "thank you" folks receive gifts and the ones who just can't seem to get the idea, don't. Tough!
Yea for you! I'm with you 100% too. :-)
Old 09-16-2011, 07:09 AM

Here's a different twist on this subject. I have a grown GD
who never sends a thank you or calls or emails, nothing unless we are together for opening gifts. However she sends me a gift each Christmas and I make a point of immediately sending her a written think you letter. She exchanges gifts but not thank yous. What do you think of that?
Old 09-17-2011, 03:59 AM

Touchy subject.
I think a thank you note and photo is not to much to ask.
Why not take a photo of the quilt before you give it.
There was a time when Wedding thank yous were the norm,
now that just doesnt happen, or it didnt with my Grand daughter.
Stand you ground.
But that is just my opinion.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

How hard is it to say thank you? Come on, where are some peoples manners? When I give a gift, that is all I expect is a simple thank you.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:29 PM

Kinda looks like were from the old school. Thank you notes were taught in English Class. God only knows what they are taught now.