Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cotton Prices... Good News >

Cotton Prices... Good News

Cotton Prices... Good News

Old 09-14-2011, 06:04 AM

Oh I had already noticed that the price per yard had come down, several manufactors had raised the price when there was that panick and found fabric was hard to sell at $10.00 per yard, now they are having sales.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jean1941
That is great for us but what about that farmer that grew the cotton and he has a family to feed and take care of also. Do not get me wrong am glad prices are dropping it is just a two edge sword. I am a cotton farmer's daughter from years ago

Happy Shopping
It seems the grower doesn't get much of the profit.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:10 AM
Banned

Hopefully the quilt shops haven't ordered their Christmas and fall fabrics yet. Unfortunately if they purchased at higher prices they won't be able to sell back at old prices.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:12 AM

How low can it go... LOL
Old 09-14-2011, 06:13 AM

I have mixed emotions about this. As a prior farmer's wife, it would be devastating on the farmer and his family. As a purchaser of fabric, it sounds good, but I hate it for the farmer. I know what this does to them.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
That is great if they pass it on..... Has anybody noticed how the price of gas climbs faster than it drops??? :)
And here in Canada it always seems to up just before a long weekend!
Old 09-14-2011, 06:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by IrishNY
I read today that cotton prices have fallen dramatically. It was $.95 a pound before it began climbing, went as high as $2.15 and has now fallen back to $1.25.

The article said that the price of cotton fabric is dropping. Good news for us!! :thumbup:
where did you find this info?
The cotton.org news only states that the crops are steady, with Australia leading right now. There is NO mention that the prices are lower at all!
Old 09-14-2011, 06:35 AM
QKO

Don't hold your breath waiting for fabric prices to decrease even a little. About the best we can hope for is that they remain stable and quit going higher.

Cotton prices are only one element in the cost of fabric.

Here are some others:

Oil prices -- Most of the dye used in producing fabric is derived from oil.

Shortages of adequate printing facilities -- many of the large mills in So. Korea and Japan, where the best fabric printing in the world is done -- have shut down leaving a shortage of production facilities.

Transportation costs -- Shipping costs go ever higher due to fuel cost and wage costs. To get fine fabrics you have to ship raw cotton from cotton producing areas to the place where the cleaning and weaving is done, greige goods to the place where the printing is done, printed fabric to the place where the finishing is done, finished fabric to the place where the bolting and distribution is done, to the retailer, and to the consumer.

Wage costs -- People in China are upwardly mobile and are demanding higher wages to improve their lifestyle. China produces most of the greige goods used in printing fabric, and thus must raise prices on those goods.

Regulatory costs are increasing dramatically, especially in the USA, at all levels of the distribution chain. Who do you think has to pay when a small business or shop has to hire extra help or pay a consultant just to fill out required government forms?

And so it goes. The price of cotton coming down is a small ray of sunshine, but it won't do much to bring down the price of fabric, and it may even cause shortages that will continue to drive prices up.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:39 AM

Yes, but I've noticed that once the price of something goes up, it rarely comes back down (with the exception of gasoline). Let's hope that my pessimistic outlook on this one is wrong!
Old 09-14-2011, 06:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by QKO
Don't hold your breath waiting for fabric prices to decrease even a little. About the best we can hope for is that they remain stable and quit going higher.

Cotton prices are only one element in the cost of fabric.

Here are some others:

Oil prices -- Most of the dye used in producing fabric is derived from oil.

Shortages of adequate printing facilities -- many of the large mills in So. Korea and Japan, where the best fabric printing in the world is done -- have shut down leaving a shortage of production facilities.

Transportation costs -- Shipping costs go ever higher due to fuel cost and wage costs. To get fine fabrics you have to ship raw cotton from cotton producing areas to the place where the cleaning and weaving is done, greige goods to the place where the printing is done, printed fabric to the place where the finishing is done, finished fabric to the place where the bolting and distribution is done, to the retailer, and to the consumer.

Wage costs -- People in China are upwardly mobile and are demanding higher wages to improve their lifestyle. China produces most of the greige goods used in printing fabric, and thus must raise prices on those goods.

Regulatory costs are increasing dramatically, especially in the USA, at all levels of the distribution chain. Who do you think has to pay when a small business or shop has to hire extra help or pay a consultant just to fill out required government forms?

And so it goes. The price of cotton coming down is a small ray of sunshine, but it won't do much to bring down the price of fabric, and it may even cause shortages that will continue to drive prices up.
:thumbup: