An unwelcome Visitor

Old 09-18-2011, 11:59 AM

I let the 5 big dogs answer the door then I open the window next to the door and while they are still raising Cain, I sweetly ask the person what they want.....this advertises my house as a "don't bother" to anybody casing it AND I don't have to think about my dogs getting out for a gleeful run while I talk. I even accept pizza delivery this way!
Old 09-18-2011, 12:03 PM

We had that happen not that long ago too except it they were "selling Kirby Vacuums cleaners".

Strange couple of kids, dirty looking, she said she was alone, then the other one comes up carrying a box that did say Kirby.
Then they said they were alone and there was another guy in the car.

Of course we don't want a vacuum and told them so.
I have a friend in our church that sells them for a living and called him.
He said they have no one in the area selling that weekend that they are either from out of town or up to something.

They were reported too.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

Good thinking on your part. Unfortunately, we live in tough times and no longer can we leave our doors unlocked like we did when I was growing up on the farm. Back then everyone knew everyone else, but today, it's just better to be safe than sorry.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:56 PM

I live in a rural area, the houses are quite a distance away from each other. 3 houses down the road, 2 ladies knocked on a door and asked the elderly lady for water, claiming 1 of them was ill and needed to take heart meds..the lady went to get them a glass of water and they followed her in, robbed her at knife point! One of them made a cell phone call the second they were in, and 2 guys pulled in with a truck...she was really very lucky she only got robbed. It's a scary world beyond your front door! I have a rotweiler, and lots of luck to anyone in my home that has ill intentions! I feel very safe!
Old 09-18-2011, 03:59 PM

Those magazine selling people have been showing up here in Alaska. Alot of chatter on facebook about it. I live on an island with about 3000 people and they are here acting very suspicious. I think I would be real careful, our neighbors here say that they are asking questions like, where do you work, when do you get home, personel questions that you wouldn't need to ask if you were ONLY selling magazines. It sounds like its pretty widespread. Kind of scary!!
Old 09-18-2011, 04:24 PM

You did the right thing! Better safe than sorry!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Dee

Glad you reported the incident. Now days one has to be very careful.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:06 PM

In our area door to door sales people are required to get a permit and show the permit and ID. However, they can fake anything so it is best to report anyone that approaches you like he did.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:20 PM

Whenever someone comes to my door, I answer with my .38 tucked into the waist of my jeans...and it's loaded, all the time. If it's my family, they know to call first...didn't take them long to learn, either!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:53 PM

Companies higher people t go door to door. They often cart them in from another state- usually young people promised big pay who find it's not what they find. Frankly it's the companies that need a kick in the pants. These kids think they are going to earn enough to go to college etc- On a personal note we do not participate in school fund raisers that have kids go door to door. Too risky and frankly can't stand to have them do it for 2 reasons- one alot of people lost their jobs and I don't want them to buy out of obligation because we shovel or do something else for them. Second is we used to offer to make our kettle korn for fund raisers offering them 50 percent of the sales- they would either want a larger cut or thought the deal they were getting through large distributors of items was good at on 10-15 percent