Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Do You Do With UGLY Fabric? >

What Do You Do With UGLY Fabric?

What Do You Do With UGLY Fabric?

Old 09-28-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by lynnsim
I agree that if you cut the fabric small enough, you won't know it was ugly to begin with. I suggest adding your other scraps and cutting into 2" or 2.5" strips -- make a scrappy strip quilt.
;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

My thoughts exactly, I was in the "NOODLE SWAP" ( 2 1/2" strips) and got quite a variety of fabrics - I do assume some were someones uglies. The ones I sent were what at the time MY UGLIES but that was just because I didn't have a plan for them at the time, many were bought when I was building my stash and were beautiful when I bought them ;) . I put together 2 scrap quilts with the noodle swap strips - will post a pic soon, both quilts are totally different, and each would appeal to different folks.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by pjnesler
Originally Posted by lynnsim
I agree that if you cut the fabric small enough, you won't know it was ugly to begin with. I suggest adding your other scraps and cutting into 2" or 2.5" strips -- make a scrappy strip quilt.
;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

My thoughts exactly, I was in the "NOODLE SWAP" ( 2 1/2" strips) and got quite a variety of fabrics - I do assume some were someones uglies. The ones I sent were what at the time MY UGLIES but that was just because I didn't have a plan for them at the time, many were bought when I was building my stash and were beautiful when I bought them ;) . I put together 2 scrap quilts with the noodle swap strips - will post a pic soon, both quilts are totally different, and each would appeal to different folks.
Glad to hear you're working with your 2 1/2" strips from the swap ;)
Old 09-28-2011, 05:56 AM

Log cabin with 1.5" strips. All the patterns will disappear, only 1" showing, and you will be left with the value more than the hue.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:58 AM

I cut them into 5" charms and make a twister from them. Use black to balance them. Or you could cut into 2.5" strips and do strip tubes with them.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

Yes, or trade.

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
sell them on here.

what one considers ugly is beautiful to another.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:02 AM

I agree with ckcowl I just finished a quilt and am working on another of what I consider 'way beyond ugly' fabs and the 1st one was quite pretty and the half I have done on the 2nd one is either not so bad or its growing on me. But this one is aLog Cabin.The other was a Cross Roads kind of pattern it had a bunch of HSTs with coordinating plain colors - they really broke up all those not so pretty prints
Old 09-28-2011, 06:04 AM

U S E THEM!!
Old 09-28-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by mdollar
I received 20 fat quarters of fabric in a "Surprise FQ" bundle for 10/$5 in the mail yesterday. I was just taking a chance that the fabrics would be something I could use. Well, ALL of the fabrics except maybe 2 of them are so UGLY I don't know what I could use them for. Any suggestions on what kind of quilt I could make with them that would lessen the ugly when mixed together with the other scraps and remnants I have? Is there a particular pattern any of you use to make something worthwhile from fabric you just aren't crazy about? HELP!
Now I have a great answer for you! I am known as the "FAT LADY" because I do a Fat Quarter Raffle monthly at our Guild meetings. I get to choose the theme. October is the "UGLIEST FABRIC YOU HAVE". So, if you would like to get rid of them, you could mail them to me and I will take them in for the raffle.
We do a LOT of charity work and I am sure someone would find something to do with them. Truely, I will pay the shipping if you are interested. Our meeting is the 2nd tues of every month and I would have to have them for October so make up your mind fast.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:05 AM

Every once in awhile I encounter a fabric that I could not even bring myself to cut ....even into the smallest pieces.
I used them for testing new stitches/thread on my machine , put them inside potholders as extra stuffing, or toss them into the good will bin.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:05 AM

I entered an ugly fabric contest once and won 1st prize.
I used the ugly fabric in small pieces mixed with other pretty fabrics. I made a scrappy 3D flying geese border, and also used them for small appliques. If you mix small amounts of the ugly fabric with other pretty fabrics from your stash I think you will be surprised at how lovely your project will turn out. Think of it as a challenge :)