I am a "newbie" & I need your help >

I am a "newbie" & I need your help

I am a "newbie" & I need your help

Old 09-28-2011, 02:40 PM

Welcome from Wisconsin
Old 09-28-2011, 03:05 PM

Welcome!
Old 09-28-2011, 03:07 PM

Many years ago, as a single Mom with very little money I made whole cloth quilts from sheets. Had one win a blue ribbon! Learned to quilt by hand this way.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:38 PM

If you like scrap quilts, check out the Salvation Army or the Goodwill for clothes to cut up into squares, etc. Sometimes not knowing what not to do turns out really wonderful. Lots of us have cut out blocks wrong or sewed them wrong. We have a name for it...UFO. Unfinished Project Object or WIF waiting to finish. Enjoy the journey, keep an eye on the money you spend..it can become an addiction. Try to not have too many projects unfinished at one time. I buy the backing and the batting after I finish something. Look for a guild in your area. Make one block to work out any issues or mistakes in the pattern. If you make first attempt blocks in the same fabric you will have a mini sampler that will remind you of all the projects you have done. Good luck. Reach out. Quilters are wonderful, giving people.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ireland
Old 09-28-2011, 03:56 PM

Start with an easy pattern like rail fence and make a small size. You can cut it with scissors and sew by hand you don't have to start with all the equipment. I have a co worker who is making a quilt and she doesn't have a sewing machine -it is sewn all by hand. Enjoy it!
Old 09-28-2011, 04:07 PM

Please don't quit before you start. All you need are a good pair of scissors, thread and a needle. That is basic. You can piece by hand if you don't have a machine. Start with squares and go from there. If you can buy more, then get a good machine, a cutting mat and ruler and a rotary cutter. Rail fence is a super quick and easy quilt to start with.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:59 PM

Hi Becky. First you need to find some other quilters in your area. Quilters love to help each other. There are a lot of easy patterns for first time quilters and some great books out there. Do you have a library? Check out the quilt books. Do you have an extension service? Find out what resources are available to you in your area of TN. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:00 PM

Hi becky, So glad you joined us. Wal-mart has the basic stuff to begin with.Remember when you buy fabric to watch the weight of it, Wal-mart in Erwin has some really thin stuff on sale. But their regular stuff in pretty good to start with. You didn't say if you could sew now.If you can my advise is to start small, some kittie quilts to lay on would be a learning experience. I live just across the mountain if I can help you, I'm not great but I am willing to help.good luck.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:55 PM

First and formost you can do so much for little if you use your imagination. With 6 kids that shouldn't be hard. A basic machine that has a straight stitch and if possible a zig zag is good. Look for a used one that is metal. They tend to less problematic and you pick one up for as little as 5.00- As long as you are willing to clean it up and are open to what the machine does instead of looks you can get a steel. Many paterns and helps can be found on line- Quilting 101 is a good start site. Old clothes, sheets etc make good quilts. Have an old quilt recover it for starters. Vest in a pack f good machine needles like Schmetz which can run around 6.00 (watch for coupons) I have found some of the less expensive scissors do just as well as the pricey ones. Joann fabrics carries snips for jewelry making that work great for thread snips at less then 2.00. If a gridded board is out of your budget make one by making a 1" grid pattern on a large piece of card board or tag board. A wood yard stick from the hardware store works fine for starters. I would vest in long quilting needles as they are easier to handle then the stubby ones that are often blunt. Go with Coats and clark thread- it is reasonable on price and does a good job especially on older machines. Watch thrift stores and rumage sales for crafting and sewing itmes being dumped- often find new items that way for pennies on the dollar. If you have a freecycle group on line near you get invovled. And post what you're looking for someone may have it for free to you. Think outside the box about uses for things- itmes labeled for quilting in the store are usualy an office or craft item that is labeled as quilting so the price can be jacked up. Regarding a used machine- If possible check it before buying you can find free downloadable manuals on line with a little research for many machines as well