Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
I am a "newbie" & I need your help >

I am a "newbie" & I need your help

I am a "newbie" & I need your help

Old 09-27-2011, 05:05 PM

My name is Becky & I live in the hills of east TN. Married with six sweet kitties. I want to start quilting & I am unable to get out much. I have met so many wonderful people here & now I have a big question for everyone. Since I am going to have to teach myself this fine art & living on a budget, what are the basic books, tools & basic sewing machine that you would recommend? I have been looking a picture of your quilts for months & wonder if I need to quit before I even get started. They are just beautiful & I hope that one day to make something as lovely as the quilts on here. :) So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone, Becky.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

Rotary cutter, mat, ruler(s) depending on what pattern you want to try- will you be hand piecing or by machine ? Needles, threads, scissors
Old 09-27-2011, 05:10 PM

No No No, do not give up - you will be so pleasantly surprised when you get your fabric chosen, your new baby (machine) and that first block made - no matter how wonky (my first quilt). It is the greatest feeling of pride and accomplishment! I started November last year and working on quilt number 8 - totally addicted!
Old 09-27-2011, 05:11 PM

I have scissors, needles & thread. Some fabric. I want to try hand quilting, but would also like to know of a good beginner sewing machine to quilt on. :)
Old 09-27-2011, 05:13 PM

Thanks for the wonderful words of encouragement. :) If your going to have an addiction, it seems like this is the best kind yo have. :lol:
Old 09-27-2011, 05:15 PM

What stores are near you? Joann's? Hobby Lobby? Both have coupons regularly and that is how I bought my basic supplies - cutting matt, rotary cutter, a book here and there. We also have a 2nd hand bookstore locally where I've found a few books very reasonably priced. I started with a Kenmore sewing machine that was around $200-250. I've since upgraded my machine. Whenever I shop I go through the remnant bins. I like scrappy quilts, so someday I'll get to use them on one :-D Once you get started, you'll never look back, so get ready for a fun ride!
Old 09-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Banned

welcome from OK.
DO not be afraid to post to your local FREECYCLE.org and ask for hand me downs! Fabric, notions, books, magazines..you never know what you might be able to get for FREE!
Old 09-27-2011, 05:26 PM

Welcome from Georgia.

I have a cousin Becky in east Tennessee too :)

good scissors, rotery cutter, mat, pins, seam ripper, ruler
Old 09-27-2011, 05:26 PM

I have a Brother cs6000i from Walmart. I think it was a little less than $200 about 4 years ago. But just buy what ever you can afford and work with what you have. And most of all have fun.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:29 PM

don't quit!!! You will find that it does not take long to learn how to sew. once you learn the basic straight stitch you are practically home free. may be you could put up a couple of signs in your grocery store or in the library asking if there are any quilters in your neighborhood.